Differential Equations - Linear Factor Proof

In summary, Daniel says that the LHS of a differential equation is just an equation which happens to be the differential, and that you can usually avoid dividing by dx.
DoubleMike
My class has recently done an intro to differential equations, and although I understand the method of solving simple equations, I want to know why the method of Linear Factors works. Unfortunately my book hasn't provided a proof for it. :grumpy:

Also in the final step where you integrate both sides of the equation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[uy]=uq(x)[/tex]
the book says to integrate each side in respect to the variable in them

So I would have [tex]\int\frac{d}{dx}[uy] dy= \int uq(x)dx[/tex]
This doesn't make sense, considering each side has been multiplied by different differentials.

Physics news on Phys.org
No,you've missed something and the final expression is totally wrong.
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}(uy)=uq(x) \Rightarrow d(uy)=uq(x) dx[/tex]

And now integrate.

Daniel.

That is what I would call using an "integrating factor" to solve a linear equation.

You have a differential equation of the form
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+ p(x) y= q(x)[/tex]
and multiply by some function u(x) such that
[tex]u(x)\frac{dy}{dx}+ u(x)p(x) y= \frac{d(u(x)y)}{dx}[/tex]

It's easy to show that u(x) must satisfy u'= u(x)p(x), a separable equation.

I doubt that what you gave is, in fact, exactly what is in your book. (If it is it's a typo!)
What is correct is that
[tex]\int d[uy]= \int u(x)q(x)dx[/tex]

Of course, the integral on the left is just u(x)y.

But the left side is missing the dy...

It seems suspect that you can multiply the dx as a fraction like that, then d[uy] really doesn't mean anything.

It's like performing math on notation... I'm sure it's just shorthand =/

DoubleMike said:
But the left side is missing the dy...

Yes.

DoubleMike said:
It seems suspect that you can multiply the dx as a fraction like that,

Only to the ones which are unfamilar to methods involving differentials.

DoubleMike said:
then d[uy] really doesn't mean anything.

Of course ot does.It's the differential of the product u(x)y.

Daniel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[uy][/tex] is just notation for the derivative of uy, the dx isn't really a differential at all.

If it was, then in reality you would be dividing by dx... Are you telling me that d[uy] = dy?

That "dx" BEARS the name "differential of the independent variable".It's not a differential "stricto sensu".

As for the last,i'm not that naive to claim such thing...They obviously represent different objects.

Daniel.

So where does that leave us? Also, don't you need a dy to integrate the left side?

You have a "genuine" differential in the LHS which u can integrate without any problem...,ain't it so...?

Daniel.

I thought that you needed to know in respect to which variable. I've just been mechanically integrating both sides, but I don't know why the left side doesn't need a dy.

As far as I'm concerned, the LHS is just an equation which happens to be the differential. It would still need a dy (it reminds me of the fundamental theorem of calculus for some reason...?)

Well,what does the FTC say and why do you think it would apply here directly...?

Daniel.

dexter, where did you learn all of your math from?

About 99% from school,the rest individual study.Why?

Daniel.

The left side: d[uy] doesn't need a left side because it is a differential all by itself:

[itex]\int dx= x[/itex], [itex]\int dy= y[/itex], [itex]\int d(uy)= uy[/itex], etc.

You could, if you like, say [itex]\int\frac{d(uy)}{dx}dx= uy[/itex] but most people prefer not to have that 'double' dx.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It is commonly used to describe the relationship between a physical quantity and its rate of change over time.

2. What is a linear factor proof?

A linear factor proof is a method used to solve a differential equation by factoring the equation into linear factors, which are then solved separately to find the general solution.

3. Why is it important to prove that a differential equation is linear?

It is important to prove that a differential equation is linear because it allows us to use specific methods, such as the linear factor proof, to solve the equation and find the general solution. It also helps us understand the behavior and properties of the equation.

4. What are the steps involved in a linear factor proof?

The steps involved in a linear factor proof are:

1. Rewrite the differential equation in standard form with all terms on one side and the other side equal to zero.

2. Factor out any common factors from the equation.

3. Use the quadratic formula to find the roots of the equation.

4. Write the general solution using the roots as the linear factors.

5. Can all differential equations be solved using a linear factor proof?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using a linear factor proof. This method can only be used for linear differential equations, which have the form dy/dx = f(x) or dy/dx + g(x)y = h(x). Nonlinear differential equations require different methods for solving them.