Close it or discuss it? a counter rotating earth core

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, The decision to close the thread was deemed absolutely correct, with no room for doubt. While some were initially inclined to report it, the thought of an eight year old with Asperger's and a high IQ asking similar questions made them attempt to steer the conversation in a more constructive direction. However, the primary objective of education took precedence and the decision to close the thread was made. The OP's statement about dismissing weird theories potentially hindering breakthroughs was not applicable in this context, as the forum's purpose is to discuss new and interesting ideas, not wild ones. This was a conflict, but ultimately the decision to close the thread was in line with the forum's guidelines.
Andre
Of course the decision to close this thread was absolutely correct, no doubt about it.

My first thought when I saw it, was to report it let nature take its course. But I was also thinking about that eight year old asperger-diagnosed super-IQ kid that I know, who would ask questions like that. Therefore I just attempted to explain the problems with ideas like that and steer him into the right direction.

I know, it's a conflict but education is the primary objective and I felt that this kid of mine would be very hurt with closing his thread.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It was the following statement by the OP in response to other members trying to remind him of the rules that sealed the case for the lock (at least for me):

budapest said:
"If we dismiss theories because they seem weird, we risk missing true breakthroughs." Max Tegmark, MIT physicist

This is exactly the place where we should discuss wild ideas - new ideas - interesting ideas.

That is not how the PF works.

1. What is a counter rotating earth core?

A counter rotating earth core refers to the idea that the Earth's inner core may be rotating in the opposite direction of the outer core. This theory is still being studied and is not yet confirmed.

2. How would a counter rotating earth core affect our planet?

If a counter rotating earth core exists, it could potentially affect the Earth's magnetic field and the movement of tectonic plates. However, more research is needed to fully understand the implications of this theory.

3. What evidence supports the idea of a counter rotating earth core?

Some evidence for a counter rotating earth core comes from observations of the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of seismic waves within the planet. However, these findings are still inconclusive and require further investigation.

4. What are some potential explanations for a counter rotating earth core?

One possible explanation for a counter rotating earth core is the conservation of angular momentum. Another theory suggests that the inner core may have formed separately from the rest of the planet and thus has a different rotation direction.

5. Is there a consensus among scientists about a counter rotating earth core?

No, there is currently no consensus among scientists about the existence of a counter rotating earth core. It is a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.