Document expired - remedies via Firefox?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you that advice!It's irritating to compose a long reply to post and then get a "Document expired" message when you try to preview it. Usually all your message is lost after that. I assume this is a feature of forum that can't be fixed. When logging in, you should click the "Remember Me" button. That way, you won't get logged out.It does. If e.g. the preview page doesn't load properly because of a connection issue, all you have to do is to refresh it (and agree to resend the information).
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
It's irritating to compose a long reply to post and then get a "Document expired" message when you try to preview it. Usually all your message is lost after that. I assume this is a feature of forum that can't be fixed.

is there a clever way to recover the message in Firefox by hunting through cached pages? I don't see any way to use the normal navigation available to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
It's irritating to compose a long reply to post and then get a "Document expired" message when you try to preview it. Usually all your message is lost after that. I assume this is a feature of forum that can't be fixed.

is there a clever way to recover the message in Firefox by hunting through cached pages? I don't see any way to use the normal navigation available to do this.

When logging in, you should click the "Remember Me" button. That way, you won't get logged out.

micromass said:
When logging in, you should click the "Remember Me" button. That way, you won't get logged out.

Thank you that advice!

Stephen Tashi said:

Try to "refresh" the page, I know that usually works in IE, don't know if FF has that capability.

Last edited:
Firefox also has an add-on called Lazarus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/) that enables you to recover text lost from web forms like those in the forum.

Ygggdrasil said:
Firefox also has an add-on called Lazarus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/) that enables you to recover text lost from web forms like those in the forum.

Thanks a lot Ygggdrasil. I have been searching for something like this.

I usually just click the "preview" button periodically.

Evo said:
Try to "refresh" the page, I know that usually works in IE, don't know if FF has that capability.
It does. If e.g. the preview page doesn't load properly because of a connection issue, all you have to do is to refresh it (and agree to resend the information). There was a time when I somehow managed to try to make a post just when the backup started almost every day, so I've had to do this a lot.

But "remember me" needs to be checked (and cookies allowed, but since they are by default, that's usually not a concern). Without that, you get logged out, and then I think you're screwed.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean when my document has expired on Firefox?

When a document has expired on Firefox, it means that the webpage you were trying to access has timed out and is no longer available. This can happen if you leave a webpage open for too long without refreshing it or if the webpage has a specific expiration time set by the website owner.

2. How can I fix the "Document expired" error on Firefox?

To fix this error, you can try refreshing the webpage or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. You can also try accessing the webpage from a different browser or device. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with the website itself and you may need to contact the website owner for assistance.

3. Can I recover lost data from a "Document expired" error on Firefox?

Unfortunately, no. When a document has expired, it means that the webpage and its content are no longer available. Any unsaved data or information on the webpage may be lost. It is important to regularly save your work or use the auto-save feature on websites to prevent data loss.

4. How can I prevent "Document expired" errors on Firefox?

You can prevent these errors by regularly refreshing webpages, clearing your browser's cache and cookies, and ensuring that your internet connection is stable. It is also a good practice to save your work or use the auto-save feature on websites to prevent data loss in case of a document expiration.

5. Is there a way to extend the expiration time of a document on Firefox?

No, the expiration time of a document is set by the website owner and cannot be extended by the user. If you are experiencing frequent "Document expired" errors on a specific website, it may be worth contacting the website owner to see if they can adjust the expiration time or address any technical issues on their end.