Definition of relative error

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative error and how it can be defined and used to put a bound on the accuracy of measurements. However, there is a limitation in using the maximum norm of a vector to define the relative error as it does not provide information about the individual entries. This raises the question of the usefulness of finding the relative error in a vector if it cannot be used to accurately determine the error in individual entries.
andresc889
Hi all,

I have a general question about relative error. Suppose that we have a vector of measurements [itex]\hat{b}=\left(\hat{b_{1}},\hat{b_{2}},...,\hat{b_{n}}\right)[/itex]. Furthermore, suppose that these measurements are accurate to 10%.

My natural interpretation of this statement is that there is a "true" vector [itex]b=\left(b_{1},b_{2},...,b_{n}\right)[/itex] such that [itex]\frac{\left|b_{1}-\hat{b_{1}}\right|}{\left|b_{1}\right|}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\left|b_{2}-\hat{b_{2}}\right|}{\left|b_{2}\right|}[/itex], ..., [itex]\frac{\left|b_{n}-\hat{b_{n}}\right|}{\left|b_{n}\right|}≤0.1[/itex].

I have seen in the literature that we can use the maximum norm of a vector to define the relative error. So, the relative error in [itex]\hat{b}[/itex] could be defined as [itex]\frac{\left\|b-\hat{b}\right\|}{\left\|b\right\|}[/itex] where [itex]\left\|v\right\|=\max\limits_{i} \left|v_i\right|[/itex].

The problem that I find with this is the fact that we can't conclude anything about the individual entries from this definition. For example, if [itex]b=\left(1,2,3\right)[/itex] and [itex]\hat{b}=\left(1.14,1.9,3.15\right)[/itex], then [itex]\frac{\left\|b-\hat{b}\right\|}{\left\|b\right\|}=\frac{0.15}{3}=0.05≤0.1[/itex] which indicates that the relative error in [itex]\hat{b}[/itex] is less than 10%. On the other hand, the relative error in the first entry of [itex]\hat{b}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{0.14}{1}=0.14≥0.1[/itex].

Now, suppose we solve the systems [itex]A\hat{x}=\hat{b}[/itex] and [itex]Ax=b[/itex] where [itex]A[/itex] is invertible. According to the literature,

[itex]\frac{\left\|\hat{x}-x\right\|}{\left\|x\right\|}≤\left\|A^{-1}\right\|\left\|A\right\|\frac{\left\|\hat{b}-b\right\|}{\left\|b\right\|}[/itex]

Where the norm of a matrix [itex]A[/itex] is defined to be [itex]\max\limits_{i} \sum\limits_{j} \left|a_{ij}\right|[/itex].

If we know that the relative error in [itex]\hat{b}[/itex] is less than 10%, then we can put a bound on the relative error in [itex]\hat{x}[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{\left\|\hat{x}-x\right\|}{\left\|x\right\|}≤0.1\left\|A^{-1}\right\|\left\|A\right\|[/itex]

But as shown above, this does not put a bound on the relative error in the individual entries of [itex]\hat{x}[/itex]. So my question is, what is the point of finding the relative error in the vector if we cannot use that to put a bound on the relative error of the individual entries? Maybe I'm misinterpreting something here?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For your example, with ##b = <1, 2, 3>## and ##\hat b = <1.14, 1.9, 3.15>## a vector of the absolute values of the relative errors would be ##<\frac {.14} 1, \frac {.1}2, \frac {.15} 3> = < .14, .05, .05>##. The mean of these values is .24/3 = .08 which is less than .1.

1. What is the definition of relative error?

The relative error is a measure of the accuracy of a measurement or calculation, expressed as a percentage of the true value.

2. How is relative error calculated?

The relative error is calculated by taking the absolute difference between the measured value and the true value, dividing it by the true value, and then multiplying by 100 to express it as a percentage.

3. What is the difference between relative error and absolute error?

The main difference between relative error and absolute error is that absolute error is a measure of the actual difference between the measured value and the true value, while relative error takes into account the size of the true value and expresses the error as a percentage.

4. Can relative error be negative?

Yes, relative error can be negative if the measured value is less than the true value. This indicates that the measured value is lower than the true value, resulting in a negative percentage error.

5. Why is relative error a useful measure of accuracy?

Relative error is a useful measure of accuracy because it allows for comparison between measurements or calculations of different magnitudes. It also takes into account the size of the true value, providing a more meaningful representation of the error.