Space-time Concept by Einstein

In summary, the space-time concept is a way of describing where and when something happened by using three dimensions of space and one time dimension. It is important for physics because it deals with 'events'- something that happens at a specific point, at a specific time. In addition, Minkowski space is another way to describe space-time, and it is important to understand it because it explains how relativity works. Finally, Einstein concluded that the space-time interval is fixed for all observers, and you can't go as fast as 'c' if you have mass...so we are stuck within the plotted 'lightcones'.
F1225
Good day!
I am quite blur with the Space-time concept proposed by Einstein.
Can anyone explain briefly on what he meant by that term(Space-time)?
3-D space+1-D time?
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, "A four dimensional space time continuum" means three dimensions of space and one time dimension.
It simply means that physics deals with "events"- something that happens at a specific point, at a specific time. In any coordinate system, it will four numbers to specify an "event".

To bounce off what Ivy said, imagine you want to describe where something is. To do so we need to have 3 numbers for space, one number for each dimension (or axis on a graph). Their meeting point is where that object is located at. But, it turns out that we also have to have another number to describe where something is at in time. So 4 numbers equals 4 dimensions, 3 of space and 1 of time.

Actually it was Minkowski (one of Einstein's mathematics professors) who formulated the idea of space-time... and used it to explain Einstein's relativity to others.

Thanks... As i knew physicist likes to tabulate results and put them as a graph right? Erm...let's say i want to put the Space-time on a Cartesian plane, is that possible? Or are there any other more advance graphing methods for a 4-Dimension graph?

F1225 said:
Thanks... As i knew physicist likes to tabulate results and put them as a graph right? Erm...let's say i want to put the Space-time on a Cartesian plane, is that possible?

I think so. A simple example of a particle traveling one direction through space can easily be shown on a normal graph. You only need one axis for space and one for time.

Oic..Which means that we won't be able to draw a 4D graph on a 2D cartesian plane?
Other than cartesian plane are there any other graphing methods?
:what:

F1225 said:
Oic..Which means that we won't be able to draw a 4D graph on a 2D cartesian plane?
Other than cartesian plane are there any other graphing methods?
:what:

Not sure. I'm would bet there are plenty of different methods, but I really don't know. Try searching around a bit.

F1225 said:
Good day!
I am quite blur with the Space-time concept proposed by Einstein.
Can anyone explain briefly on what he meant by that term(Space-time)?
3-D space+1-D time?
:confused:
See: http://www.bartleby.com/173/17.html

The 'space time concept' alludes to that fact that when you want to meet someone, for example, you have to specify a PLACE and a TIME...one without the other won't do. In addition, it turns out that at very high speeds, time and space transform into one another...
they are not entirely independent entities as they appear to be in our everyday world.

You may also want to study Minkowski space. Nice diagram and explanation here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minkowski_space

note that the horizontal 'hypersurface of the present' is merely and x and y space,
while the passage of time is plotted vertically...up for the future, down for the past...

Einstein concluded the spacetime interval is fixed for all observers, and you can't go as fast as 'c' if you have mass...so we are stuck within the plotted 'lightcones'.

What is the space-time concept by Einstein?

The space-time concept by Einstein is a theory that combines the concepts of space and time into a single four-dimensional continuum. It suggests that the fabric of space and time is not fixed, but rather is influenced by the presence of matter and energy.

Why is the space-time concept important?

The space-time concept is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the physical world. It explains how gravity works and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. It also forms the basis of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has had a significant impact on modern physics.

How did Einstein come up with the space-time concept?

Einstein developed the space-time concept as part of his theory of general relativity. He was inspired by the work of mathematician Hermann Minkowski, who suggested that space and time should be treated as a single entity. Einstein then used mathematical equations to describe how space and time are interconnected.

What evidence supports the space-time concept?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the space-time concept. One of the most famous examples is the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, which was predicted by Einstein's theory. Other evidence includes the observed slowing of time near massive objects and the detection of gravitational waves.

Does the space-time concept have practical applications?

Yes, the space-time concept has several practical applications. GPS technology, for example, relies on the accuracy of the space-time concept to function correctly. The concept also has implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe as a whole.