Space with a diagonal metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for a maximally symmetric space with a diagonal metric, including the Christoffel symbols and the Riemann tensor. The speaker mentions coming across a contradiction and wondering what is going wrong. They also bring up the concept of symmetry and how it relates to the diagonal form of the metric. The other person responds by suggesting to check the calculations in the case of de Sitter space and clarifies that the diagonal form of the metric does not necessarily mean the components are equal.
Funzies
Hey guys! I am considering a space with a diagonal metric, which is maximally symmetric.

It can be proven that in that case of a diagonal metric the following equations for the Christoffel symbols hold:
[tex] \Gamma^{\gamma}_{\alpha \beta} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha \alpha} = -(1/g_{\beta\beta})\partial_{\beta}g_{\alpha\alpha} [/tex]
[tex] \Gamma^{\beta}_{\alpha \beta} = \partial_{\alpha}\ln(\sqrt{|g_{\beta\beta}|}) [/tex]
[tex] \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\alpha \alpha} = \partial_{\alpha}\ln(\sqrt{|g_{\alpha\alpha}|}) [/tex]

Furthermore: for a maximally symmetric space we have for the Riemann tensor:
[tex] R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu} = R/12(g_{\rho\mu}g_{\sigma\nu}-g_{\rho\nu}g_{\sigma\mu})[/tex], where R is the Ricci scalar.

Given these equations, I come across a contradiction. From the above equation for the Riemann tensor we easily see that if it has three different indices, it must be zero (IF the metric is diagonal). However, if I plug in the Christoffelsymbols into the definition of the Riemanntensor expressed in Christoffel symbols and their derivatives, I do not find that this is zero in general. Does anyone know what is going wrong here?

EDIT: For a maximally symmetric space, three indices cannot be unequal, but for a diagonal space this might not be the case. How is this all related?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I put the following diagonal line element into GrTensor, for coordinates (t,x,y,z),

-p(t,x,y,z)*d[t]^2+q(t,x,y,z)*d[x]^2+r(t,x,y,z)*d[y]^2+s(t,x,y,z)*d[z]^2;

I get the following (just a partial set).

[tex]\Gamma^t{}_{tt} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial_t \, p}{p} [/tex]
[tex]\Gamma^x{}_{tt} = -\frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial_x \, p}{q} [/tex]
[tex]\Gamma^t{}_{xt} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial_x \, p}{p} [/tex]

They look similar, except for a missing factor of 1/2. The ln's complicate things a bit - are they really that useful?

I was rather surprised to see an apparently non_zero term pop out for R_txty myself. I'm not sure if it's really nonzero, or just didn't simplify:

[tex]R_{txty} = 1/4\,{\frac {-2\, \left( {\frac {\partial ^{2}}{\partial x\partial y}}
p \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) p \left( t,x,y,z \right) q \left( t,
x,y,z \right) r \left( t,x,y,z \right) + \left( {\frac {\partial }{
\partial y}}p \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) \left( {\frac {
\partial }{\partial x}}p \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) q \left( t,x,
y,z \right) r \left( t,x,y,z \right) + \left( {\frac {\partial }{
\partial x}}p \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) \left( {\frac {
\partial }{\partial y}}q \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) p \left( t,x,
y,z \right) r \left( t,x,y,z \right) + \left( {\frac {\partial }{
\partial y}}p \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) \left( {\frac {
\partial }{\partial x}}r \left( t,x,y,z \right) \right) p \left( t,x,
y,z \right) q \left( t,x,y,z \right) }{p \left( t,x,y,z \right) q
\left( t,x,y,z \right) r \left( t,x,y,z \right) }}
[/tex]

When you say "maximally symmetric space" and "diagonal space," you're talking about two different kinds of things. The symmetry is intrinsic, but the diagonal form of the metric is coordinate-dependent.

I think the only maximally symmetric spaces in 3+1 dimensions are Minkowski space, de Sitter space, and anti de Sitter space. Have you tried, for example, checking your calculations in the special case of de Sitter space?

Funzies said:
From the above equation for the Riemann tensor we easily see that if it has three different indices, it must be zero (IF the metric is diagonal).
What if the different components of the metric are unequal?

Funzies said:
EDIT: For a maximally symmetric space, three indices cannot be unequal, but for a diagonal space this might not be the case. How is this all related?
Are you thinking that the different components of the metric have to be equal because it's maximally symmetric? That's not true. The symmetry doesn't have to be manifest when you write the metric in certain coordinates.

Given the line element, I don't see any requirement that there be ANY Killing vectors, much less the maximum possible number (which would be a requirement to be maximally symmetric space, if I understand correctly).

I would first commend you for your exploration of a space with a diagonal metric and your efforts to understand its properties. This is an interesting topic and has potential implications in various fields such as physics and cosmology.

In response to your question, it is important to note that the equations you have mentioned are derived under certain assumptions and conditions. The equations for the Christoffel symbols, in particular, are valid for a diagonal metric and a maximally symmetric space. However, the equation for the Riemann tensor is a more general one and may not hold in all cases, especially when the assumptions for the Christoffel symbols are not satisfied.

In a diagonal metric, the Christoffel symbols are zero for unequal indices, as you have correctly pointed out. This is a consequence of the symmetry of the metric, which implies that the space is isotropic in all directions. However, when the indices are equal (as in the case of the Riemann tensor), this symmetry may not hold and the Christoffel symbols may not be zero. This does not necessarily lead to a contradiction, but it does highlight the limitations of the assumptions and equations we are working with.

Furthermore, the equation for the Riemann tensor that you have mentioned is valid for a maximally symmetric space, which is characterized by a constant curvature. In a diagonal metric, this may not always be the case. Therefore, it is important to consider the specific conditions and assumptions under which these equations are derived and apply them accordingly.

In conclusion, the apparent contradiction you have encountered may be a result of the specific conditions and assumptions under which the equations are derived. It is important to keep in mind that these equations are not absolute and may not hold in all cases. Further exploration and analysis may help to better understand the relationship between a diagonal metric and a maximally symmetric space.

1. What is a diagonal metric in space?

A diagonal metric in space is a mathematical representation of the distance between two points in a space that has been measured along diagonal lines in multiple directions. It takes into account the curvature of space and allows for more accurate calculations of distances.

2. How is a diagonal metric different from a Euclidean metric?

A diagonal metric takes into account the curvature of space, while a Euclidean metric assumes that space is flat and straight. This means that a diagonal metric can provide more accurate measurements in curved spaces, such as in general relativity.

3. What is the significance of using a diagonal metric in space exploration?

The use of a diagonal metric in space exploration allows for more accurate calculations of distances and navigation in curved spaces, such as in orbit around planets or in interstellar travel. It also plays a crucial role in the understanding of gravity and the universe as a whole.

4. How is a diagonal metric used in general relativity?

In general relativity, a diagonal metric is used to describe the curvature of space-time and the effects of gravity. It allows for the calculation of distances and the prediction of the path of objects in a gravitational field.

5. Can a diagonal metric be applied to all types of space, including empty space?

Yes, a diagonal metric can be applied to all types of space, including empty space. It is a mathematical concept that can be used to describe the distance between any two points in a space, regardless of its contents or curvature. However, in empty space, the diagonal metric would reduce to the traditional Euclidean metric as the curvature of space would be negligible.