Quantum Computer, how to actually build one?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum computing and the speakers' lack of understanding in physically engineering such a device. They also mention a book that provides information on applied quantum computing.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
So last year I took a course in quantum computing, but I didn't understand how can you build quantum computer?

I mean do you have literature on the technical issues of physically engineering such an apparatus?

The course I took was really theoretical, but I don't understand yet of how to build such a thing?

Any literature on applied quantum computing?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The last chapter of the book "Fundamentals of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information" by Peter Lambropoulos and David Petrosyan has information about this.

Thanks, I don't understand why did this post was moved to general physics forum, but I don't complain anymore... :-)

1. What is a quantum computer and how does it work?

A quantum computer is a type of computer that uses quantum mechanics to perform calculations. Unlike traditional computers that use binary digits (bits) to represent data, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to perform certain types of calculations much faster than traditional computers.

2. What are the challenges of building a quantum computer?

Building a quantum computer is a difficult task due to the fragile nature of qubits. Qubits are easily affected by external interference, making it difficult to maintain their delicate quantum states. Additionally, the technology used to manipulate and measure qubits is still in its early stages and requires precise control and accuracy.

3. What materials are used in quantum computers?

The most common materials used in quantum computers are superconducting materials, such as niobium, which are able to maintain the delicate quantum states of qubits. Other materials such as silicon, diamond, and topological materials are also being explored for use in quantum computers.

4. How do you program a quantum computer?

Programming a quantum computer is different from programming a traditional computer. Instead of writing code in a programming language, users must create quantum algorithms using quantum gates and operations. These algorithms are then translated into instructions for the qubits to perform.

5. What are the potential applications of quantum computers?

Quantum computers have the potential to greatly impact various industries, including finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. They can be used to solve complex optimization problems, simulate quantum systems, and improve encryption methods. They could also aid in drug discovery and development, and improve weather forecasting and climate modeling.