Applied Mechanics vs Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the major difference between applied mechanics and mechanical engineering is the focus on practical applications versus theory and design. Applied mechanics may be less popular currently, but it is still a valuable field to pursue. When deciding between a career in physics or applied mechanics, it is important to take classes in both and see which one you enjoy more. Pursuing a career in physics may be seen as more prestigious, but it ultimately depends on personal interests and skills. Additionally, while mechanics may seem to be completely understood, physicists are still studying modern physics and there is still room for advancements in the field.
Ishida52134
What exactly is the major difference between applied mechanics and mechanical engineering degree like the one in caltech?
Is applied mechanics generally less popular now?
Would it be better to pursue a career in physics or applied mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just wondering what's the difference between those two fields. And would pursuing a career in physics be more prestigious and more popular than one in applied mechanics?

I thought the choices were applied mechanics and mechanical engineering. :confused:

oh lol and physics.

any ideas?

I've seen from your other posts that you're a freshman and I think I know what you're trying to do: You're attempting to lay your entire undergrad schedule right now but I can tell you from experience it doesn't work well. I wanted to do EE and physics double major but I quickly found out that at my school I would have to stay an extra year to fill all the requirements and even then I would be taking 5-6 technical classes every semester which is way too many for me.

Here's what I found out and what I'll recommend to you. Take each type of class (one mechanics, one physics, etc.) that you think you're going to like asap; hopefully by your second semester and see if you do really like it. If you do then great, if you don't then your decision is easier already. My views changed drastically after one class of each.

DrummingAtom said:
I've seen from your other posts that you're a freshman and I think I know what you're trying to do: You're attempting to lay your entire undergrad schedule right now but I can tell you from experience it doesn't work well. I wanted to do EE and physics double major but I quickly found out that at my school I would have to stay an extra year to fill all the requirements and even then I would be taking 5-6 technical classes every semester which is way too many for me.

Here's what I found out and what I'll recommend to you. Take each type of class (one mechanics, one physics, etc.) that you think you're going to like asap; hopefully by your second semester and see if you do really like it. If you do then great, if you don't then your decision is easier already. My views changed drastically after one class of each.

I totally agree with you.

lol I'm only a senior in high school. But I already took physics C and taking multi right now, and I liked both mechanics and EM. I'm just not sure if I'd like doing quantum physics everyday for the rest of my life though. I just want to know a bit more.

Would it be better to pursue a career in physics or applied mechanics?
And would pursuing a career in physics be more prestigious and more popular than one in applied mechanics?
isn't applied mechanics not really that popular/prestigious/useful in comparison to a career in physics now?
And also, mechanics is already completely understood which is why physicists are studying modern physics.

Note that you just totally ignored the advice given to you by DrummingAtom and Force.

1. What is the difference between Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering?

Applied Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior of physical bodies under the action of forces. It focuses on the application of mathematical principles and theories to solve problems related to motion, forces, and energy. Mechanical Engineering, on the other hand, is a broader field that applies principles of physics and materials science for the design, analysis, and manufacture of mechanical systems. It involves the study of various sub-disciplines such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and solid mechanics to design and build machines and structures.

2. Are there any similarities between Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, there are several similarities between the two fields. Both Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering use principles of physics and mathematics to analyze and solve problems related to the behavior of physical bodies. Both also involve the use of computer-aided tools and techniques for design and analysis. Additionally, both fields are essential in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation.

3. What are the key areas of focus in Applied Mechanics?

Applied Mechanics primarily focuses on three key areas: dynamics, statics, and mechanics of materials. Dynamics deals with the study of the motion of bodies under the influence of forces, while statics focuses on the equilibrium of bodies under the action of forces. Mechanics of materials involves the study of the behavior of solid materials under different types of loading, such as tension, compression, and bending.

4. How is Applied Mechanics used in Mechanical Engineering?

Applied Mechanics is an essential part of Mechanical Engineering as it provides the fundamental principles and theories that are used to design and analyze mechanical systems and structures. For example, the principles of dynamics are used to design moving parts of machines and to analyze the forces acting on them. Similarly, the principles of mechanics of materials are used to design and analyze the structural components of machines and structures.

5. What are the career opportunities for professionals in Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering?

Professionals in both Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries. These include roles such as mechanical engineers, design engineers, materials engineers, and research scientists. They can work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and construction. Additionally, they can also pursue careers in academia and research institutions.