Question about voltage division

In summary, the conversation discusses a Maxitonix 500-1 lab device with six supply rails labelled V1 - V6, each increasing in 1.5V increments from 1.5V to 9V. The user is curious about how this is achieved, considering the device uses 6 AA batteries and has no knowledge of current consumption in a circuit. The conversation then explores the possibility of a potential divider, but the user's calculations do not match up. Finally, it is suggested that the batteries may be tapped directly between them to achieve the desired voltage.
Dixo
Hi all

I have this Maxitonix 500-1 lab thing which I bought years ago and never got around to doing anything with it until this year.

Now it has a breadboard and along the top, six different supply rails labelled V1 - V6. Each ones goes up in 1.5V increments from 1.5V to 9V.

I'm just curious how this is done? In the battery compartment, there are 6 AAs and while they are paired (eg 3 pairs connected) that wouldn't explain how it could use a voltage divider with an unknown current consumption.

So, any ideas please? I'm just wondering how in the real practical world, you would achieve this when you have no idea what currents might be used in a circuit (eg, how do power supplies achieve this?).

Initially I figured that it must be a potential divider but I had a hunch it couldn't be so I put that to the test. I drew up a simple 3 resistors in series with a 12V supply and wanting 6V and 3V. With 500mA I calculated I'd need 12Ω, 6Ω and 6Ω. Of course the moment you change that current to more or less the voltage figures change so that doesn't work!

So how do they do it?

Many thanks!

Dixo

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's actually pairs? Since it takes 1.5V batteries, and the voltage increments are likewise 1.5V, it's probably just tapping each battery. If there's a little metal blade in-between the two batteries (on the lid or in the compartment), that's probably how they're tapping it.

They're definitely paired. Each set of two batteries has a joined back plate although thinking about it there might be a wire under that which allows it to tap the voltage directly between them.. I hadn't thought of that!

1. What is voltage division?

Voltage division is a technique used to calculate the distribution of voltage across a series circuit with multiple resistors. It helps determine how much voltage is dropped or shared across each resistor.

2. How do I calculate voltage division?

To calculate voltage division, you need to use the voltage divider formula: Vout = (R2 / (R1 + R2)) * Vin, where Vout is the output voltage, R1 and R2 are the resistances of the two resistors in the circuit, and Vin is the input voltage.

3. What is the purpose of voltage division?

The main purpose of voltage division is to control the voltage across different components in a circuit. It is commonly used to reduce the voltage to a level that is suitable for specific components or to provide a specific voltage to a component.

4. Can voltage division be used with any circuit?

Yes, voltage division can be used with any circuit that has multiple resistors in series. It is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis and is applicable to both DC and AC circuits.

5. How does voltage division affect the overall voltage in a circuit?

Voltage division reduces the overall voltage in a circuit as it distributes the voltage across multiple resistors. The sum of the voltage drops across each resistor will always equal the input voltage. This is known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.