Many Body Problem: Physically & Mathematically Explained

• Thread starter Ed Quanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, the equation describing the motion of three bodies interacting under the force of gravity is nonlinear, and does not have a closed form solution.
Ed Quanta
Using Newtonian physics, I have heard that it is impossible to define an equation or set of equations that describe the motion of three bodies interacting under the force of gravity. Can anyone demonstrate this physically or mathematically? I don't see how the equations become unsolvable.

Physics news on Phys.org
You certainly can define equations which describe many body problems. But they do not have a closed from solution. They must be solved numerically and since they are describing a non linear dynamical system the solution is falls into chaotic behavior.

I apologize for using the wrong word "define". I guess what I am curious about is how the equation becomes nonlinear or rather does not have a closed form solution.

Some Googling turned up this page which seems to have some good infromation on the problem, along with some nice java applets (look under current projects).

Ed Quanta said:
Using Newtonian physics, I have heard that it is impossible to define an equation or set of equations that describe the motion of three bodies interacting under the force of gravity. Can anyone demonstrate this physically or mathematically? I don't see how the equations become unsolvable.

To make sure you don't get into a state of confusion, note that your question actually is more related to N-body problem. "Many-Body" problem typically is reserved for a "gazillion" body interaction where many-body techniques are used, especially in condensed matter physics (See, for example, G.D. Mahan's standard text "Many-Particle Physics").

So if you are googling, it is good to make sure one knows what terminology is appropriate for what one is looking for.

Zz.

I'm sure that at your library u can find at least one book on celestial mechanics (describing gravitational interactions with Newtonian theory).All books on celestial mechanics should exhaust the subject of 3 body-problem.

Oh,and one more thing,add to what Integral has said.Lagrange and Euler have found particular solutions to this problem (3-body interaction in Newtonian gravity). (check "Lagrange points"...:wink:).

As for terminology,"Many Body Problem" refers to what Zapper said...

Daniel.

"how the equation becomes nonlinear "

It doesn't "become" nonlinear because there are more than 2 bodies, it is already non linear because one of the dependent variables is r, the distance between the two bodies and the force (so second derivative of r) depends on 1/r2.

As for why it does not have a closed form solution: Almost ALL nonlinear differential equations do not have closed form solutions! One exception is the "one-body" problem where you assume one of the gravitating bodies is so massive compared with the other than it can be considered and unmoving source for the force. The two-body problem can be reduce to "one-body" by using the center of mass and treating each body separately.

Thanks again, you guys are a lot better than some of my professors.

1. What is the "Many Body Problem" and why is it important in physics?

The "Many Body Problem" is a term used to describe a situation in physics where the behavior of a system composed of multiple interacting particles cannot be easily predicted. This problem is important because it arises in many areas of physics, such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and quantum mechanics, and understanding and solving it can lead to a deeper understanding of these systems.

2. What are the mathematical approaches to solving the Many Body Problem?

There are several mathematical approaches to solving the Many Body Problem, including the mean-field approximation, perturbation theory, and numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulations. Each approach has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific system being studied.

3. How does the Many Body Problem differ from the Two Body Problem?

The Two Body Problem refers to the study of the motion of two particles under the influence of their mutual gravitational or electrostatic forces. In contrast, the Many Body Problem involves more than two particles, and the interactions between these particles can be more complex and difficult to predict. Solving the Many Body Problem requires more advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Many Body Problem?

The Many Body Problem has applications in a wide range of fields, including materials science, molecular dynamics, and celestial mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of complex systems such as fluids, superconductors, and galaxies, and to develop new technologies and materials.

5. Can the Many Body Problem be solved exactly?

In most cases, the Many Body Problem cannot be solved exactly due to the complexity of the interactions between particles. However, in certain special cases, such as the Ising model in statistical mechanics, exact solutions can be found. In general, approximations and numerical methods are used to solve the Many Body Problem and obtain useful insights into the behavior of these systems.