Orange flame and blue flame: what causes the difference? metal vapors?

In summary, the color of a flame is determined by the emission spectra of the gas or gas mixture used to create the flame. When heating a metal, the color of the flame may change due to the emission spectra of the metal atoms or particles present. Black body radiation does not play a significant role in determining the color of a flame.
pa5tabear
What causes flame color? I know light color corresponds to photon energy which is related to electrons relaxing from a high to low energy state.

I'm not sure how to conceptualize this situation though.

My professor was heating a 0.8 wt% carbon steel rod, in austenite phase, with a blow torch until it started glowing. I assume it was still in the austenite phase.

During the heating, the flames from the blow torch were blue until the metal started glowing orange. At this most of the flames changed color to orange. There were still some blue flames at the outlet of the blow torch but those that were past the piece of metal were all orange.

Physics news on Phys.org

it may be that metal atoms or clusters are being vaporized from the surface by the hot gas flow across it, at which point they'll start emitting light at their characteristic frequencies. this is actually an analytical technique for trace metals in organics or solutions called atomic emission spectroscopy.

Blue means hotter than orange flame. That is why blue stars are hotter than yellow/orange stars just like Betelgeuse (red giant) which is located in the orion constellation. The cause of the blue flame is just that is coming out really hot due to the introduction of more hydrogen or oxygen atoms (I think), you can tell by the color of the flame. Also remember from the spectrum, visible blue light has shorter wavelengths than red and thus the energy is higher. photons with shorter wavelengths have more energy than photons with longer wavelengths. That is why radio waves don't kill you, but Gamma rays and x-rays are dangerous.

Last edited:

chill_factor said:
it may be that metal atoms or clusters are being vaporized from the surface by the hot gas flow across it, at which point they'll start emitting light at their characteristic frequencies. this is actually an analytical technique for trace metals in organics or solutions called atomic emission spectroscopy.

I also think the orange glow is due to admixtures originated from heated steel surface. It may be any solid particles such as ferrum oxide, or may be soot. Moreover Fe atoms have a lot of emission spectral lines within the visible range, and there may be some other admixtures, such as Na atoms which have very intense orange emission lines.

Different metals give different colors to the flame. For example Cu gives green or blue color (I don't remember exactly), Co - blue, and Cr - green.

In this case I am pretty sure that the color of the flame is due to black body radiation. The blue flame is hot, so it glows blue. Once the hot gas passes the steel, it transfers a lot of it's heat to the steel so it is cooler and glows orange.

The flame only started glowing orange once the steel was glowing because hot air and cold air don't like to mix, so their was a thick boundary layer of cool air around the steel that prevented the flame from transferring heat efficiently.

Iron boils at 3000K which is white hot. I don't think you would see any sort of electron relaxation light until the steel got really close to that point. Carbon is even hotter.

The blue flame is not blue because of black-body regulation. That is a misconception.

A black body at the temperature of a typical blowtorch flame (1500-2000 C) is reddish-orange. There are no black bodies in the typical blowtorch or Bunsen burneflame, which is why it isn't reddish-orange.

The blue color of the flame comes from the emission spectra of various hydrocarbon radicals. See, for example, this spectrum.

The orange color of the flame after passing the bar probably comes from the emission spectrum of iron atoms. It doesn't take very many to produce a very bright color. If you put the bar in the oxygen-rich part of the flame, you may also get sparks as larger particles of iron burn. Of course, there is also a ton of junk on the surface of the iron bar that could provide its own color to the flame.

If the "metal emission spectrum" theory is correct, then doing it with a copper rod instead of an iron rod should produce a bluish-green flame beyond the bar (at least after all the extraneous junk has been burned away). If this happens, it can't be explained by any theory of blackbody emission, which would disprove that theory.

jackn007 said:
In this case I am pretty sure that the color of the flame is due to black body radiation. The blue flame is hot, so it glows blue. Once the hot gas passes the steel, it transfers a lot of it's heat to the steel so it is cooler and glows orange......

no that is incorrect

I agree with chill_factor and eigenperson on this one

the flame is initially blue primarily because that is the emission spectra of the gas/gas mixture used to create the flame any other material iron, copper etc will colour the flame according to its emission spectra

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

1. What causes the difference in color between an orange flame and a blue flame?

The color of a flame is determined by the temperature of the object or substance that is burning. A blue flame indicates a higher temperature, while an orange flame indicates a lower temperature. In general, the hotter the flame, the bluer it will appear.

2. Why do some metal vapors produce a blue flame while others produce an orange flame?

The color of a metal vapor flame is determined by the specific metal that is being burned. Each metal has a unique emission spectrum, which is the range of colors emitted when it is heated. Some metals, like copper and barium, have a higher energy emission spectrum, resulting in a blue flame. Other metals, like sodium and potassium, have a lower energy emission spectrum, resulting in an orange flame.

3. Can the color of a metal vapor flame vary depending on the temperature?

Yes, the color of a metal vapor flame can vary depending on the temperature at which it is burned. As the temperature increases, the atoms in the metal vapor become more excited and emit a wider range of colors, causing the flame to appear more blue.

4. Are there any other factors besides temperature that can affect the color of a metal vapor flame?

Yes, other factors such as the concentration of the metal vapor, the surrounding atmosphere, and the type of burner used can also affect the color of a metal vapor flame. For example, if there is not enough oxygen present, the flame may appear more yellow or orange.

5. How do scientists use the color of a metal vapor flame to identify different metals?

Scientists use a technique called flame spectroscopy to identify different metals based on the color of their vapor flame. This involves passing the vapor through a spectroscope, which separates the light emitted into different wavelengths. Each metal has a unique emission spectrum, allowing scientists to identify which metal is present based on the color of the flame.