Forward bias in a silicon p-n junction diode

In summary, the forward bias current for a silicon p-n junction diode is described by the formula I = I_s*|e^[(|e|*V]/[n*k_b*T]) - 1|. Under forward bias conditions, the exponent |e|V/nk_bT >> 1 due to the high values of voltage and temperature. This leads to a significant increase in current. The current varies with voltage and temperature due to the exponential nature of the formula and the cubed term for temperature in I_s. This results in a large variation in current for small changes in voltage and temperature.
Whistlekins

Homework Statement

The forward bias current I in the diode described (silicon p-n junction) varies as a function of the voltage V and temperature T described by the formula I = I_s*|e^[(|e|*V]/[n*k_b*T]) - 1| where |e| is the fundamental charge, k_b is the Boltzmann constant, I_s is the reverse saturation current. n is the ideality factor. For all intents and purposes we will assume that n = 1.

Also, I_s is related to temperature with I_s = A*T^3 * e^(-E_g/[n*k_b*T]), A and E_g are constant.

The questions: (1) Under forward bias conditions, the exponent |e|V/nk_bT >> 1. Why is this so? (2) And why does the current I vary markedly with the voltage V and the temperature T?

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that for (1), unless V-T ratio is very very small (10^-5), the exponent will turn out magnitudes higher than 1, since |e|/nk_b ~ 11594. The question is in relation to an experiment in which the values of T vary from 0K - 300K, and the smallest value of V is 0.4V. The smallest V-T ratio would then be on order 10^-3, which when multiplied by the exponent, still gives a value of 15.

As for (2), I'm not quite sure what it's asking. Obviously increasing the voltage would increase the current exponentially, but I think they want the underlying priciples as to why it's exponential rather than not. Similarly for T, since it has a cubed term in I_s, it would produce a great variance in I.

I apologise for poor equation formatting, I'm not too familiar with latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
V-T ratio
This ratio has units V/K - do not ignore units, it will lead to many problems.
For T<=300K, kbT is of the order of 1/40 eV or less, which directly gives an exponent larger than 1 for a voltage of more than 25mV.

Similarly for T, since it has a cubed term in I_s, it would produce a great variance in I.
Exponential functions usually dominate over polynomials (like T^3).
The exponent is the ratio of electric energy of an electron to its thermal energy (up to a prefactor).

What is forward bias in a silicon p-n junction diode?

Forward bias is a state in which the positive terminal of a voltage source is connected to the p-type material of a silicon p-n junction diode, and the negative terminal is connected to the n-type material, causing the diode to conduct electricity.

How does forward bias affect the behavior of a silicon p-n junction diode?

When a silicon p-n junction diode is forward biased, the depletion region between the p and n-type materials becomes narrower, allowing current to flow through the diode. This results in a low resistance and allows the diode to function as a conductor.

What is the purpose of forward biasing a silicon p-n junction diode?

The main purpose of forward biasing a silicon p-n junction diode is to allow current to flow through the diode, as it is necessary for the diode to function in certain electronic circuits such as rectifiers and voltage regulators.

What happens if a reverse bias is applied to a silicon p-n junction diode?

If a reverse bias is applied to a silicon p-n junction diode, the positive terminal of the voltage source is connected to the n-type material and the negative terminal to the p-type material. This causes the depletion region to widen, preventing current from flowing through the diode and effectively blocking the flow of electricity.

How does the amount of forward bias affect the current flow through a silicon p-n junction diode?

The amount of forward bias applied to a silicon p-n junction diode directly affects the amount of current that can flow through the diode. As the forward bias voltage increases, the current through the diode also increases, following a non-linear relationship known as the diode's current-voltage characteristic curve.