Do magnets attract all metals, and is the speed of light in a water

In summary, the conversation discussed whether magnets attract all metals and if the speed of light in water is constant. It was concluded that while most metals are attracted by magnets, there are exceptions such as copper which is repelled. It was also confirmed that the speed of light in water will always be constant, regardless of the medium it comes from. Additionally, it was noted that all materials exhibit some level of diamagnetism, but for ferromagnetic and paramagnetic materials, this property is overshadowed.

Homework Statement

Do magnets attract all metals, and is the speed of light in a water constant?

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I would assume that magnets attract almost all metals because they have an electron sea in them and they would be attracted to the magnet.

But what about the speed of light in water? My physics teacher said that the speed of light in water depends on the medium it comes from. But I read that its always a constant value (3 *10^8m/s / 1.33)

Is it true that the speed of light in water would be different if the light came from a vacuum, compared to if the light came from say a diamond?

Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
1. check out the section on magnetic materials: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet

2. speed of light: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light
After reading those articles, it is my understanding that not all metals are attracted by magnets (like copper is repelled) and that the speed of light in water will always be constant, no matter what medium it comes from.

Can you confirm that this is correct?

x86 said:
After reading those articles, it is my understanding that not all metals are attracted by magnets (like copper is repelled) and that the speed of light in water will always be constant, no matter what medium it comes from.

Can you confirm that this is correct?

Yes to both.

rude man said:
Yes to both.

Thank you for clearing up my confusion

Do magnets attract all metals?

No, magnets do not attract all metals. Some metals, such as copper and aluminum, are not attracted to magnets because their atoms have strong electron configurations that make it difficult for them to align with the magnetic field of a magnet.

What types of metals are attracted to magnets?

Ferromagnetic metals, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, are attracted to magnets because their atoms have unpaired electrons that can easily align with the magnetic field of a magnet.

Why do magnets attract some metals but not others?

Magnets attract certain metals because of their atomic structure. Metals with unpaired electrons, like iron, can be easily magnetized and attracted to a magnetic field. Metals with paired electrons, like copper, do not have the same magnetic properties and are not attracted to magnets.

Is the speed of light in water the same as in a vacuum?

No, the speed of light in water is slower than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is because light travels at different speeds in different mediums, and the density of water causes it to slow down compared to the vacuum of space.

Why does the speed of light change in water?

The speed of light changes in water because the water molecules interact with the light waves, causing them to slow down. This is due to the fact that water has a higher refractive index than a vacuum, meaning that the speed of light is slower in water compared to a vacuum.