Decimal Equivalent of Largest Unsigned Binary: 8bits=256, n bits

• Thread starter ccky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the conversation discusses the decimal equivalent of the largest unsigned binary number that can be obtained with either 8 bits or n bits. The solution involves using repeated division by two and converting the resulting remainders into binary digits. The process is demonstrated using the example of converting 186 to its binary equivalent.
ccky

Homework Statement

What is the decimal equivalent of the largest unsigned binary that can be obtained with:
a.8bits. b:n bits

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A:2^8=256. 2^8-1=255 how I can change the number to binary number?
B.I can't get the direction of n bits

Physics news on Phys.org
Repeated division by two - they walk you through this both ways here: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/numbbase.htm

For n bits the maximum number is 2^n -1.

Actually for these two examples you don't need to do any arithmetic. Just ask yourself: what is the largest number that can be displayed on a 4 digit odometer?

ccky said:
A:2^8=256. 2^8-1=255 how I can change the number to binary number?
B.I can't get the direction of n bits

Hope this can be some sort of a tool to help you:
Suppose your have a decimal number X and you want to convert it into the binairy number N made of n bits.

1st of all, in a general fashion:

X=[itex]a_{0}[/itex]*[itex]2^{0}[/itex]+[itex]a_{1}[/itex]*[itex]2^{1}[/itex]+[itex]a_{2}[/itex]*[itex]2^{2}[/itex]...[itex]a_{n-1}[/itex]*[itex]2^{n-1}[/itex]

If n=8, the highest number will be 255, and in binairy it is written as 11111111.
Keep in mind that each "number 1" is the value of a specific [itex]a_{i}[/itex]

And the reading directions of these values are opposite i.e. [itex]a_{0}[/itex] is the first "1" from the right of 11111111, [itex]a_{1}[/itex] is the 2nd one.

For example: 11001001
[itex]a_{0}[/itex] =1
[itex]a_{1}[/itex] =0
[itex]a_{2}[/itex] =0
[itex]a_{7}[/itex] =1

2nd of all:
How did I transform 255 to the number 11111111?

Here's a general method (Bear in mind there are other methods):

Take your n bit number (let's consider 186 to add diversity, and in this case it's 8 bits):

Is 186 >= [itex]2^{7}[/itex]=128? Yes.
thus: [itex]a_{7}[/itex]=1.

Now take 186 and substract [itex]2^{7}[/itex] => 58.
And redo the operation:

Is 58 >= [itex]2^{6}[/itex]=64? No.
thus: [itex]a_{6}[/itex]=0.

Do not substract anything since 58<64

Now go to the 3rd digit.

Is 58 >= [itex]2^{5}[/itex]=32? Yes.
thus [itex]a_{5}[/itex]=1.

58-32=26.

Is 26 >= [itex]2^{4}[/itex]=16? Yes.
thus [itex]a_{4}[/itex]=1.

Is 26-16=10 > [itex]2^{3}[/itex]=8? Yes.
thus [itex]a_{3}[/itex]=1.

Is 10-8 >= [itex]2^{2}[/itex]=4? No.
thus [itex]a_{2}[/itex]=0.

Is 10-8>= [itex]2^{1}[/itex]=2? Yes.
thus [itex]a_{2}[/itex]=1.

Is 2-2 >= [itex]2^{0}[/itex]=1? No.
thus the last digit on the right is 0.

Result: 10111010

Verification: 128+0+32+16+8+0+2+0=186. The operation is correct.

Hope this helps and clearify the idea of binairy to decimal transformation and vice-versa .

1. What is the largest unsigned binary number that can be represented with 8 bits?

The largest unsigned binary number that can be represented with 8 bits is 255. This is because 8 bits (or 1 byte) can hold a maximum value of 2^8 - 1, which is equal to 256 - 1 = 255.

2. How many bits are needed to represent the decimal number 256 in binary?

To represent the decimal number 256 in binary, 9 bits are needed. This is because 256 is greater than the maximum value that can be represented with 8 bits (255). Therefore, an additional bit is needed to hold the value 256 in binary.

3. Can the decimal number 256 be represented with 8 bits in signed binary?

No, the decimal number 256 cannot be represented with 8 bits in signed binary. This is because signed binary uses the leftmost bit to represent the sign (positive or negative) of a number, reducing the maximum value that can be represented by one bit. Therefore, the largest signed binary number that can be represented with 8 bits is 127.

4. What is the decimal equivalent of the largest unsigned binary number that can be represented with n bits?

The decimal equivalent of the largest unsigned binary number that can be represented with n bits is 2^n - 1. This is because the maximum value that can be represented with n bits is 2^n, and by subtracting 1, we get the largest unsigned binary number.

5. How many different numbers can be represented with 8 bits in unsigned binary?

With 8 bits, a total of 256 different numbers can be represented in unsigned binary. This is because 8 bits can hold 2^8 = 256 different combinations of 0s and 1s, each representing a different number.