Best way to kill/repel cockroaches?

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
In summary: No, I live in a temperate climate. I usually shut off the water and heat for a couple of nights when I have a problem.Thank you so much for your help!In summary,You can kill cockroaches by sealing up cracks in the wall, fixing leaky pipes, taking out the trash frequently, and making roach traps. You also need to fix the reason they're there, and get them to leave due to starvation or dehydration. You can use boric acid or sprayers to kill them.
Superposed_Cat
Hello, I have a mortal fear of cockroaches and they are everywhere but I can't fumigate because my gran doesn't want to. So what is the best way to kill/repel cockroaches? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing if they are established and you don't spray (or move). Even with aggressive fumigation, their population follows an exponential decay similar to radioactive decay. e.i. a "population half-life"

A more intuitive characteristic of exponential decay for many people is the time required for the decaying quantity to fall to one half of its initial value. This time is called the half-life, and often denoted by the symbol t1/2. The half-life can be written in terms of the decay constant, or the mean lifetime, as:

bb4d7b6ec26d12fcf99d1d96f97c4745.png

Attachments

• bb4d7b6ec26d12fcf99d1d96f97c4745.png
    bb4d7b6ec26d12fcf99d1d96f97c4745.png
    657 bytes · Views: 378
Thanks, I am familiar radioactive decay. Didn't think about it applied to 'roaches though.

Superposed_Cat said:
Hello, I have a mortal fear of cockroaches and they are everywhere but I can't fumigate because my gran doesn't want to. So what is the best way to kill/repel cockroaches? Thanks.

You're never going to get rid of them; unless you fix the reason they're there to begin with. Seal up food, fix leaky pipes, take out the trash frequently, seal up cracks in the wall. You can get boric acid and make roach traps, but this will do nothing then curb their numbers.

You need to fix the reason why they're there, and get them to leave due to starvation/dehydration.

This house is pretty old/leaky/full of cracks. Even when there is no food they chew on our books.
boric acid is a good suggestion though. Are they scared of anything? I heard that theyn fear chrysthananums because of the pyrethroids.

Superposed_Cat said:
This house is pretty old/leaky/full of cracks. Even when there is no food they chew on our books.

Because that's food. Fix up the house.

I use wasp spray when I see a roach in the garage. It's nice because you can get from several feet away.

with us at night they are so many, and you can actually here them and see them darting out the corner of your eye.

Superposed_Cat said:
Are they scared of anything?

They are scared of being in places where you don't find them. Clearly, those places don't include your house.

Maybe the quickest solutions would be first kill your granny, and then fumigate the house :devil:

But grannies can be nearly as hard to kill as roaches.

Burn them with a blowtorch!

Clean the whole house. Use sprayers around the wet/humid areas where cockroaches are active at night. Sometimes I wake up at midnight for WC, I step on one fellow inadvertently and think it is just his lucky day to end his life too soon

They've become less scared of me. They don't run unless I pick up something to hit them with and they seem more resistant to bug spray. Evolutions a B!t*#

Superposed_Cat said:

I have recent experience in this matter: I just finished renovating my bathroom and had the pest before I did the work. I found several holes in the wall plates (2x4 on the floors) that plumbers had drilled for piping. I sealed up all the holes and no longer see them in my home. Also, as mentioned above, keep your home, kitchen especially, very clean and seal up everything so they have no food. If your home is elevated, go underneath it if you can do so safely, and look for piping entering the floor or look for any holes and seal them up.

My cat DESTROYS roaches.

Whoooa... You have an epic cat. Mine attacks dogs and walks with lynxs (once)(you get them were I live) but does nothing to help me. He eats vegatables, what kind of a cat is that?

Superposed_Cat said:
Whoooa... You have an epic cat. Mine attacks dogs and walks with lynxs (once)(you get them were I live) but does nothing to help me. He eats vegatables, what kind of a cat is that?

A vegan

Winter is coming. Do you live in a climate where the temperature drops well below freezing at night, say to -6C (21F) or lower? If so, shut off the water and heat and take a trip somewhere. Three or four nights at those temperatures might do the job. (It's up to you whether you take your grannie with you or leave her there.)

http://www.roachfood.com/roach-faq.html

SW VandeCarr said:
Winter is coming

Not in the Southern Hemisphere, unfortunately. (Where the OP is)

Right you are V-50. Lethargy runs amok as temperatures average 27 Celsius.

Superposed_Cat said:
Right you are V-50. Lethargy runs amok as temperatures average 27 Celsius.

Too bad. 90% of the world's population live in the Northern Hemisphere, but YOU have to be different! Well, maybe my advice will help someone.

Last edited:
I'm not happy about it either. If I get raped and killed here there is only an 11% chance of my murderer being caught.

Superposed_Cat said:

Eat them, they are good source of protein.

Assuming that all animals were the same size cockroaches would be the fastest animal. (or so I hear)

Borax, though I'm not entirely sure of how safe it is for other animals. I have roaches in my apartment myself.

They spray once per month
I meticulously clean all surfaces
no standing water, no food left out
borax sprinkled along every baseboard and stuffed into every nook and cranny

I'm sure I still have thousands, somewhere. But this has made it so I only see one or two every few weeks.

TahjQyg.jpg

My house is full of house centipedes. I don't recall ever seeing a cockroach in my home.

How the hell did a centipede catch a cockroach?

Superposed_Cat said:
How the hell did a centipede catch a cockroach?

House centipedes are very fast, venomous, and possesses prehensile feet. The centipede in the picture is using one of said feet to grab the roach's leg.

It's a good picture.

1. What is the most effective method for killing cockroaches?

The most effective method for killing cockroaches is by using bait or traps. These methods work by attracting the cockroaches with a food source that is laced with a pesticide. Once the cockroaches consume the bait, they will bring it back to their nest and eventually die.

2. Can I use natural remedies to repel cockroaches?

Yes, there are some natural remedies that can help repel cockroaches. These include using essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, or tea tree oil, as well as using a mixture of vinegar and water to create a strong scent that deters cockroaches.

3. What should I do if I have a severe infestation of cockroaches?

If you have a severe infestation of cockroaches, it is best to seek professional pest control services. They have the knowledge and tools to effectively eliminate a large number of cockroaches and prevent future infestations.

4. What are some preventative measures I can take to avoid cockroach infestations?

To prevent cockroach infestations, it is important to keep your home clean and free of food debris. Make sure to seal any cracks or openings where cockroaches can enter your home, and regularly check and clean areas like under sinks and behind appliances where they like to hide.

5. Are cockroaches harmful to humans?

Cockroaches can carry and spread bacteria and diseases, making them a potential health hazard. Some people may also have allergies or asthma triggered by cockroach droppings. It is important to eliminate cockroaches from your home to protect your health.