Is Dark Matter a Macroscopic Manifestation of Quantum Hidden Variables?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hidden variables in quantum mechanics and whether dark matter could be the macroscopic equivalent of these hidden variables. The possibility of assigning a probability function to the position and velocity of macroscopic bodies is also mentioned. One person speculates that dark matter could be the result of a quantum mechanical process, but another disagrees and advises being more careful with posting after consuming alcohol.
Spin_Network
Related to QM hidden Variables?...is Dark Matter the Macro Scale equivilent to the Hidden Variables on QM scales?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Spin_Network said:
Related to QM hidden Variables?...is Dark Matter the Macro Scale equivilent to the Hidden Variables on QM scales?
Do you have a reference to MACRO hidden variables? This is a concept that I have not heard of.

QM deals with the statistical possibilities of particles taking a particular path from A to B, and how the possibilities can be calculated. It is possible that the probability of any particle deviating from a straight, direct path from A to B is suppressed by by destructive interference in the waveforms of non-straight paths. My understanding of this is very rudimentary and I might be quite misinformed, but are you asking if we can assign a probablility function to the position and velocity of macroscopic bodies?

turbo-1 said:
Do you have a reference to MACRO hidden variables? This is a concept that I have not heard of.

QM deals with the statistical possibilities of particles taking a particular path from A to B, and how the possibilities can be calculated. It is possible that the probability of any particle deviating from a straight, direct path from A to B is suppressed by by destructive interference in the waveforms of non-straight paths. My understanding of this is very rudimentary and I might be quite misinformed, but are you asking if we can assign a probablility function to the position and velocity of macroscopic bodies?

turbo-1 this post is the result of a late night get together with some friends and is the result of someone (my brother-in-law) contemplating Dark Energy/Dark matter, as the:scaled up macro product of a Quantum Mechanical process?

I'm going to be 'drying-out' today after some excess wine supping, so I am on a damage limitation recon exercise at mo :yuck:

Enjoy the headache. With respect to the OP, the answer is very likely no.

Spin_Network said:
turbo-1 this post is the result of a late night get together with some friends and is the result of someone (my brother-in-law) contemplating Dark Energy/Dark matter, as the:scaled up macro product of a Quantum Mechanical process?

I'm going to be 'drying-out' today after some excess wine supping, so I am on a damage limitation recon exercise at mo :yuck:
Would you mind being a little more careful with what you post please?

I'm sure random word association could be great fun, especially over a glass or three of good wine.

However, if I could ask you to take notes, then in the cold light of morning, check what it is you really want to write (and perhaps do some googling of your own), before you actually post?

Thank you
Nereid

1. What are macro hidden variables?

Macro hidden variables are hypothetical variables that attempt to explain the behavior of a system by taking into account all possible variables on a large scale. They are often used in physics to reconcile classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. How are macro hidden variables different from micro hidden variables?

Macro hidden variables are different from micro hidden variables in that they attempt to explain the behavior of a system on a large scale, while micro hidden variables focus on explaining the behavior of individual particles or components within the system.

3. Are macro hidden variables a widely accepted concept in the scientific community?

No, macro hidden variables are not widely accepted in the scientific community. While they have been proposed as a solution to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics, they have not been supported by experimental evidence and are not currently a mainstream scientific theory.

4. Can macro hidden variables be observed or measured?

No, macro hidden variables cannot be directly observed or measured. They are hypothetical variables used to explain the behavior of a system and are not directly observable or testable.

5. What is the current status of research on macro hidden variables?

Research on macro hidden variables is ongoing, but it is not a widely pursued area of study in the scientific community. Many scientists are exploring alternative theories and explanations for quantum mechanics, and the concept of macro hidden variables is not currently a prominent topic in scientific research.