How Do Double Concave Mirrors Create a Floating Image?

In summary, the double concave mirror set up works by using two mirrors with the same radius of curvature and focal length, one facing up and the other facing down on top of it. When an object is placed in the center of the bottom mirror, light is reflected off the focal point of the top mirror, creating a parallel reflection that then hits the focal point of the bottom mirror and produces an image hovering above the top mirror. This concept is illustrated in the attached image and has been discussed in previous forums.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
I am trying to figure out how those double concave mirror set ups work to create an image above the mirror.
Does anyone know what I am talking about?

You have 2 [spherical] concave mirrors, both with the same radius of curvature (and thus the same focal length), one facing up, and the other facing down on top of the first. The mirror on top has a hole cut out of its center.
When you place an object in the center of the bottom mirror, an image of that object appears hovering in mid air over the hole cut in the top mirror.
If you need more clarification, see attached picture (the black square is the object, the gray square is the image).

Here is how I think it works, let's see if I am correct.
Since the mirrors have the same radius of curvature, then have the same focal length. Let's just say that the focal length just happens to be the distance between the ceneter of the top mirror and the center of the bottom mirror. So any object placed in the center of the bottom mirror emmits light that is relected (from the focal point of the top mirror) parallel of the top mirror. The the parallel light from the top is relected through the focal point of the bottom mirror (which is the center of the top mirror) and thus creates an image.
I further illustrated my idea on the attached image (the black lines emminating from the object bounce off the top mirror and are then shown by the green lines, which bounce off the bottom mirror, which then are shown by the blue lines becomming the image we see)

Attachments

• concave mirrors.JPG
    concave mirrors.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 924
Science news on Phys.org

Your understanding of how the double concave mirror set up works is correct. The key concept to understand is that concave mirrors are able to reflect light rays in a way that they converge or come together at a focal point. In this set up, the two mirrors are placed in such a way that the focal points of both mirrors are aligned with each other. This allows for the light rays from the object placed in the center of the bottom mirror to be reflected off the top mirror and converge at the focal point of the bottom mirror, creating an image. The hole in the top mirror simply allows for the light to pass through and be visible to the observer. This set up is commonly used in telescopes and other optical instruments to create magnified images. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the double concave mirror set up.

What is a double concave mirror?

A double concave mirror is a type of mirror that has a curved surface on both sides, causing light rays to diverge or spread out when reflected. This type of mirror is commonly used in optical devices such as telescopes and projectors.

How does a double concave mirror form an image?

When an object is placed in front of a double concave mirror, the light rays from the object are reflected and diverge or spread out. These diverging rays then appear to originate from a virtual image behind the mirror. The image formed is virtual, meaning it cannot be projected onto a screen.

What is the difference between a real and virtual image in a double concave mirror?

A real image is formed when the light rays from an object converge and can be projected onto a screen. In contrast, a virtual image is formed when the light rays from an object diverge and cannot be projected onto a screen. In a double concave mirror, the image formed is always virtual and cannot be projected onto a screen.

How is the size of the image determined in a double concave mirror?

The size of the image formed by a double concave mirror is determined by the distance of the object from the mirror, as well as the radius of curvature of the mirror. The image will be larger than the object if the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror, and it will be smaller if the object is placed beyond the focal point.

Can a double concave mirror produce a magnified image?

Yes, a double concave mirror can produce a magnified image under certain conditions. If the object is placed between the focal point and the mirror, the image will be magnified and appear larger than the object. However, if the object is placed beyond the focal point, the image will be smaller than the object.