Fluid Dynamics: Equations and Streamlines for a Steady Two-Dimensional Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-dimensional flow with given velocity components u = kx and v = -ky, where k is a constant. The first part of the question asks to find the equation for a general streamline of the flow and sketch some of them. The second part asks to find the equation for a marked material fluid curve at t=0, given the initial condition x^2 + y^2 = a^2. The conversation also clarifies some typing errors and provides guidance for solving the second part of the question.
Steph
A steady two-dimensional flow (pure straining) is given by u = kx, v = -ky, for k constant.
(i) Find the equation for a general streamline of the flow, and sketch some of them.
(ii) At t = 0,the fluid on the curve x^2 = y^2 = a^2 is marked (by an electro-chemical technique). Find the equation for this material fluid cuve for t > 0.
For part (i), I used that the partial derivative of x with respect to s is kx, and that of y with respect to s is -ky. So integrating these, and using the initial condition x = xo, y = yo at s = i, I found that
ln x = ks + ln xo, and ln y = ln yo - ks.
But I don't understand what part (ii) of the question is asking. What equation does it mean for me to find? I know I could write x^2 + y^2 as (u/k)^2 + (v/k)^2, but I'm not sure that helps atall.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Steph said:
A steady two-dimensional flow (pure straining) is given by u = kx, v = -ky, for k constant.
(i) Find the equation for a general streamline of the flow, and sketch some of them.
Are we to assume that u and v are the components of velocity in the x and y directions respectively? If so then you have the two equations
dx/dt= kx and dy/dt= -ky which can be solved easily for x and y as functions of t. When you are drawing the streamlines, t is irrelevant- you want to eleminate t in the two equations, which is simple.
(ii) At t = 0,the fluid on the curve x^2 = y^2 = a^2 is marked (by an electro-chemical technique). Find the equation for this material fluid cuve for t > 0.
Did you mean x^2+ y^2= a^2, a circle?
For part (i), I used that the partial derivative of x with respect to s is kx, and that of y with respect to s is -ky. So integrating these, and using the initial condition x = xo, y = yo at s = i, I found that
ln x = ks + ln xo, and ln y = ln yo - ks.
What is s?? I would have thought x and y were functions of time, t. And since they are functions of a single variable, whether called s or t, you don't need partial derivatives. s= i?? You seem to mean s= 0.
Yes, your equations for ln x and ln y are correct. Now solve for x and y!
But I don't understand what part (ii) of the question is asking. What equation does it mean for me to find? I know I could write x^2 + y^2 as (u/k)^2 + (v/k)^2, but I'm not sure that helps atall.
Thanks in advance for any help.
The points are on a circle. You could think of each point as an initial value (the xo, yo you have above) and get the position of each point as a function of time. Once you have solved for x and y in (i) and eliminated t to get y as a function of x, remember that (yo)^2+ (x0)^2= a^2 and then see if you can write the function with a rather than x0 or y0.

Thanks for your reply to my question. I apologise for the typing errors.
- yes, u and v are the components of velocity in the x and y direction respectively
- I had intended to type x^2+ y^2= a^2, and also later that s = 0
s is a variable we used in lectures, although it was never defined, and so has confused me. I think I imagined it as the distance from the starting point, almost like curve length.
I'll work on the second part of the question with your suggestion later, and see what I can come up with!
Thanks again, Steph

1. What is the equation for fluid dynamics?

The equation for fluid dynamics is the Navier-Stokes equation, which describes the motion of an incompressible fluid. It takes into account factors such as viscosity, pressure, and acceleration in order to predict the behavior of a fluid.

2. How is the Navier-Stokes equation used in real-world applications?

The Navier-Stokes equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, including weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and the design of engines and turbines. It is also used in computer simulations to model the behavior of fluids in different situations.

3. What are the limitations of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation has several limitations, including assumptions of incompressibility and constant viscosity, which may not hold true in all situations. It also does not take into account certain phenomena, such as turbulence, that may occur in real fluids.

4. How does the Navier-Stokes equation relate to the conservation of mass and momentum?

The Navier-Stokes equation is derived from the conservation of mass and momentum. This means that it takes into account the principles of conservation of mass and momentum in its calculations, making it a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics.

5. Are there alternative equations for fluid dynamics?

Yes, there are alternative equations for fluid dynamics that may be used in certain situations. For example, the Euler equations are often used for inviscid fluids, and the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes equations are used for turbulent flows. However, the Navier-Stokes equation remains the most commonly used and versatile equation for fluid dynamics.