Is Information Overload Draining Us?

In summary: I would say most people.The news media makes its living by providing those details. And I sometimes think its at the expense of a calm mind.It would be nice to be given the opportunity to CHOOSE to learn the details of the info, however impractical that scenario may be.Just ask drew barrymoreI think most people would like to be able to do that.
jimmie
With all the changes that constantly take place in the world, with technology, politics, environment, etc..., and the DETAILS of those changes presented by many, many sources of media, it's difficult to keep up with what is current.

I think if human beings were computers, under the current conditions our RAM would be always maxed out, our harddrive would be bogged-down with outdated files that should be deleted, and our CPU would need to be upgraded.

So, are human beings getting drained by too much information?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be but I try not to retain anything I don't like

Talk about a quick reply.

I agree, but many individuals, whether they try or not, do retain info they do not want to retain.

Nah, it's only a problem for people who don't eat chocolate or drink caffeinated beverages. :tongue: :rofl:

jimmie said:
With all the changes that constantly take place in the world, with technology, politics, environment, etc..., and the DETAILS of those changes presented by many, many sources of media, it's difficult to keep up with what is current.
I think if human beings were computers, under the current conditions our RAM would be always maxed out, our harddrive would be bogged-down with outdated files that should be deleted, and our CPU would need to be upgraded.
So, are human beings getting drained by too much information?
The human mind appears to be able to adapt quite well. Apparently we do not suffer from the physical constraints computers do.

see, this for example. I have no idea what my previous post said. Retention like a goldfish, a goldfish with alzheimers...on crack.

Nah, it's only a problem for people who don't eat chocolate or drink caffeinated beverages.

Uhhh...yeah. :yuck:

If that were true, I would be the first dude buying a Snickers and Coke.

Mind you, it's not like I never ate that stuff. In fact, I still remember the ad for Coke, which i drank, back in the early 80's with the crying Indian. That file/memory should have deleted a long time ago.

tribdog said:
see, this for example. I have no idea what my previous post said. Retention like a goldfish, a goldfish with alzheimers...on crack.
^this guy won funniest member of the year?^

I did? wow. I'd forgot

Last edited:
jimmie said:
Talk about a quick reply.
I agree, but many individuals, whether they try or not, do retain info they do not want to retain.
That shouldn't prevent them from retaining new information, or specifically, important information.

Normally, non important information will go to some type of "storage", and on occasion it may bubble up. If a person has a problem where unimportant information remains active while important information gets stored, they may have a problem.

yes, amazing... (EDIT- to trib's post)

Chemistry alone makes me overload...

Nah, it's only a problem for people who don't eat chocolate or drink caffeinated beverages

Moonbear, you've probably been saving that one for while to spring it on me at the right time, eh?

jimmie said:
In fact, I still remember the ad for Coke, which i drank, back in the early 80's with the crying Indian. That file/memory should have deleted a long time ago.
Not necessarily. As long as you are able to remember recent events, having old memories recur is quite common.

There are people with brain damage that have lost their short term memory and can only remember the past.

That shouldn't prevent them from retaining new information, or specifically, important information.

I agree, but, while we do need new important information, we seem to be exposed to every little minute detail that comes with that new important information.

The news media makes its living by providing those details. And I sometimes think its at the expense of a calm mind.

It would be nice to be given the opportunity to CHOOSE to learn the details of the info, however impractical that scenario may be.

Just ask drew barrymore

and for the indian crying commercial it shouldn't have been deleted because you needed it just now to write that post.

you're so wise tribdog o_O

its a good idea, and you would think that we would suffer from overload, but it just doesn't seem to be the case. We seem to have too many safeguards built into our system. For example check out the optical illusion thread. Our brain filters out all that extra information perhaps so we don't overload.

and for the indian crying commercial it shouldn't have been deleted because you needed it just now to write that post.

Actually, you brought up a good point.

With all the advertising of products going on in the media, billions of dollars being spent to present you with thousands of TV ads, how many ads can an individual actually remember?

jimmie said:
I agree, but, while we do need new important information, we seem to be exposed to every little minute detail that comes with that new important information.
For most people that isn't a problem, you remember the point, but the minute details get pushed to the back, so much so, that some people can't remember the minute details at all.

Are you experiencing some kind of problem?

1. Wher's the beef
2. Geico ads

the most memoable ads

An important mantra be keep your sanity in today's society is:
"Just because they're selling, doesn't mean you have to buy."

And that's NOT about purchasing. It's about societal and media pressure to take advantage of every opportunity that comes along. Because you CAN have a satellite phone to keep working while at the cottage doesn't mean you HAVE to. And just because you CAN work a 60 hour week, doesn't mean you HAVE to.

Our life direction is still up to us as individuals. The fact that we have more - and easier - choices to make turns merely means we are that much more responsible for being at the wheel.

jimmie said:
With all the advertising of products going on in the media, billions of dollars being spent to present you with thousands of TV ads, how many ads can an individual actually remember?
I do that every once in a while

I think the brain is probably capable of remembering more commercials than have ever been made.

Actually I think overload does happen sometimes, I just thought of it. Try an experiment in sleep deprivation. You will soon be out of your mind. I know memories are hardwired into your brain while you sleep. Everything is organized and sorted and your brain does a quick defrag. By staying awake you don't allow your brain to do this and everything builds up and you go nuts, until you sleep

Last edited:
jimmie said:
As many as they are inclined to. I wouldn't care to remember a commercial about disposable diapers because that's not something I want or need. Does the diaper company care if a childless person doesn't remember their commercial? No.

Evo said:
There are people with brain damage that have lost their short term memory and can only remember the past.
As opposed to the rest of us who can remember the future? :confused:

jimmie said:
Uhhh...yeah. :yuck:
If that were true, I would be the first dude buying a Snickers and Coke.
Mind you, it's not like I never ate that stuff. In fact, I still remember the ad for Coke, which i drank, back in the early 80's with the crying Indian. That file/memory should have deleted a long time ago.
That's because you were still consuming caffeine at the time, so the memory could stick without causing any overload. :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear, you've probably been saving that one for while to spring it on me at the right time, eh?

Who, me? o:) :uhh: Maybe. :biggrin:

LMAO, very funny. its like "Let me show you a picture of me when I was younger."

Danger said:
As opposed to the rest of us who can remember the future? :confused:
Are you saying you can't?

I mean the distant past. People with short term memory loss are fascinating...and unfortunate.

Are you experiencing some kind of problem?

I find it a little disturbing that people think it is "normal" for a society to be built upon the media, which is dependant upon selling ads for products, all the while deluging individuals with information that is not required.

I understand that the world needs politics, but, did we really need to hear every little detail about the Clinton/Lewinsky thing?

Its not about remembering info or not, its about the process of mass-distributing information with the hope that some of it will "stick" to someone, somewhere.

jimmie said:
I find it a little disturbing that people think it is "normal" for a society to be built upon the media, which is dependant upon selling ads for products, all the while deluging individuals with information that is not required.
I understand that the world needs politics, but, did we really need to hear every little detail about the Clinton/Lewinsky thing?
You're free to turn off the TV or just not pay attention to it. That's what I do.

ohh, I misunderstood I thought you were talking about science of the brain. you're just looking for something to complain about.
I like media. right now I'm watching tv, listening to an audio book and surfing the web. give me more, throw some crap my way and see if it sticks. If you don't like all the info turn off the tv and take a walk inside a dark closet.

You're free to turn off the TV or just not pay attention to it. That's what I do.

I actually don't even have cable, or a dish. Just the internet.

Not paying attention to 'it' is something I have become accustomed to.

But, walk into the grocery store and there are the magazines at the check-out counter. Plus, the billboards going to the grocery store. Then, the little ads in the shopping carts at the grocery store.

Like, c'mon advertisers, give us a break.

I think the current method of mass-distributing information has de-sensitized individuals and made them re-active. People have become so accustomed to "new" info that they seek it out, even if it is not there.

Even I have lurked time to time at PF to see what "new" threads there are.

I think I, and many individuals, have been lulled into a sense of complacency.

jimmie said:
But, walk into the grocery store and there are the magazines at the check-out counter. Plus, the billboards going to the grocery store. Then, the little ads in the shopping carts at the grocery store.
That's nothing new. Do you know that in Pompei advertisements were painted on the outside walls of buildings? You don't think advertising is something recent, do you?

I think the current method of mass-distributing information has de-sensitized individuals and made them re-active. People have become so accustomed to "new" info that they seek it out, even if it is not there.
I don't.

I think I, and many individuals, have been lulled into a sense of complacency.
I can't relate to that. "I" decide what's important to me and what I pay attention to.

Geeze, yomamma is being rough on trib. I guess wearing that ribbon means that you have to be funny all the time.

That's why I've come back. I can't let someone else get this ribbon. The pressure is just too great and a lesser man or woman could be seriously hurt.