Balancing Equations: Oxygen in Compounds

In summary: Heh, I don't think they make teachers like that anymore.In summary, when oxygen is in a compound, it does not have to exist as individual atoms. It can be in atoms of two, three, four, or even five.
J-Girl
hi there,:) I am just wondering, when balancing equations, because oxygen is a diatomic molecule, when it is in a compound, can it exist in threes of fives? for example, Fe2O3, or does it have to be 2Fe203. Or is it just when it is a single molecule of oxygen(and not in a compound) that it must be in atoms of two? So my question is, when oxygen in is a compound, does it have to exist in atoms of twos, or can it be uneven? sorry this may be a stupid question but its not clear in my textbook! ! thanksssss:D

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is diatomic only when in the form of oxygen molecules. Same can be said about all other diatomic gases. When in compounds, they don't have to be in pairs - so CaO contains one oxygen atom, CO2 two, Fe2O3 three, OsO4 four and so on.

Note that gaseous oxygen - while in most cases diatomic - has also a triatomic form, called ozone. You will not see it often in reactions when starting to learn chemistry, but it is quite an important compound.

but what about H20, isn't it always written as 2H20? or just H20?

H2O - single water molecule - is perfectly correct.

NaOH + HCl -> NaCl + H2O

Didn't your chemistry teacher explain this?

shes wasnt very direct. so diatomic atoms are only covalently bonded when they exist naturally, before they enter into chemical reactions? this was the one thing that wasnt clear to me in chem class

J-Girl said:
so diatomic atoms are only covalently bonded when they exist naturally, before they enter into chemical reactions?

Diatomic molecules. It can be put that way, although atoms of the same element can be also covalently bonded in the compound. They don't have to, but it happens, so your statement (especially "only") is way too strong.

Some gases in free, elemental form, are present as diatomic molecules.

ohh haha sorry i did mean diatomic molecules:)my bad.

If you don't understand something raise your hand and ask the teacher. Don't be shy. And keep asking until the teacher explains it to your satisfaction. That's their job.

In high school my chemistry teacher knew less chemistry than I did and I had to correct him a few times.

1. What is the purpose of balancing equations?

Balancing equations ensures that the number of atoms present on both sides of the equation is equal, thus following the law of conservation of mass. It also reflects the correct ratio in which the reactants combine to form products.

2. How do you know when an equation is balanced?

An equation is balanced when the total number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients of the reactants and products.

3. How do you balance equations with oxygen in compounds?

To balance equations with oxygen in compounds, add coefficients to the reactants and products such that the number of oxygen atoms is equal on both sides. It may also be necessary to balance other elements before balancing the oxygen.

4. Can you change the subscripts of elements to balance an equation?

No, changing subscripts of elements is not allowed as it changes the chemical formula of the compound. Balancing equations can only be done by adjusting coefficients.

5. Are there any shortcuts for balancing equations with oxygen in compounds?

There are no shortcuts for balancing equations with oxygen in compounds. It requires careful observation and trial-and-error to adjust coefficients until the equation is balanced.