Real-Life Number Puzzle: Solve It at Quizno's

In summary, this little plaque is in the most prominent place in Quizno's and has the numbers 8 through 15 arranged in a seemingly patternless 3x3 grid. Nobody knows what the significance of it is.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just bought lunch at Quizno's. On top of a cabinet, between the cash register and the fountaion drink machine, in essentially the most prominent place in the establishment is this little framed 3" square metal plaque. It's like a little boiler plate off a machine - the lettering is stamped into the metal.

This is what is on the plaque:

Code:
12   7  14

13  11   9

8  15  10
It is the numbers 8 through 15 arranged in a seemingly patternless 3x3 grid.

I have no idea what the purpose of this little plaque is. Takers?

Attachments

• quiznosplacard.jpg
    quiznosplacard.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
I see a lot of "33s" there. (8 of 'em)

Wow. Yeah. That's no coincidence.

Perhaps the display is not a functional component at all. Perhaps it is aesthetic.

It would appear to be a magic square...

Indeed, Googling "magic square 33" turns it up many times:
magic_square_33_poster-p228123842439730109t5wm_400.jpg

This looks to be what I heard to be called a Magic Square. It is a unique square matrix where the sum of any row, column, and diagonal will equal some constant. From what I know, this is the only requirement of the Magic Square however I have only seen ones where the constant that each row, column, and diagonal sum equals is

Matrix Constant= n(n^2+1)/2.

where n is the dimension of the square matrix (also I think a 2x2 doesn't exist, but 1,3,4,5,...etc does). Since this matrix satisfies the rule of Magic Squares. Then the question I would be curious to ask is what is the significance of this matrix being at Quizno's?

ksmith1281 said:
Then the question I would be curious to ask is what is the significance of this matrix being at Quizno's?

Two theories:

1] It is a proud display of some manager's child's abilities at either math or machine shop or both.

2] Some manager is a math buff and is just waiting for someone to ask what that plaque is for...

3] (The winner): It was a gift, as a good luck charm. The manager had no idea of the significance of the numbers until I pointed it out.

DaveC426913 said:
3] (The winner): It was a gift, as a good luck charm.

Did you ask if the gift was from,
1] some other manager's child's with the abilities at either math or machine shop or both.

2] Some other manager that is a math buff

?

dlgoff said:
Did you ask if the gift was from,
1] some other manager's child's with the abilities at either math or machine shop or both.

2] Some other manager that is a math buff

?

Well, she said that the person who gave it to her told her that she should put it in a prominent place and aligned with (I dunno, uh...) the Feng Shui of the establishment.

I gathered pretty quickly that there was no math appreciation in the giver here, simply some superstition around magic squares.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, she said that the person who gave it to her told her that she should put it in a prominent place and aligned with (I dunno, uh...) the Feng Shui of the establishment.

I gathered pretty quickly that there was no math appreciation in the giver here, simply some superstition around magic squares.

OMG. I was hoping for [1]; some smart kid being involved. What a let down. :frown:

1. What is the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" at Quizno's?

The "Real-Life Number Puzzle" is a promotional game that Quizno's offers in select locations. It consists of a large board with 9 panels, each containing a number. Customers can purchase a sub and then get a chance to solve the puzzle by choosing a panel and revealing the number behind it.

2. How do I participate in the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" at Quizno's?

To participate, you must purchase a sub at a participating Quizno's location. Upon purchase, you will receive a game card with a unique code. Go to the Quizno's website and enter the code to reveal your chance to play the puzzle. If you reveal a number, you can go to the store and play the game. If you don't reveal a number, you can try again the next day.

3. How do I win the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" at Quizno's?

To win the "Real-Life Number Puzzle," you must correctly guess the 3-digit number hidden behind one of the panels on the game board. If you guess correctly, you will win a prize from Quizno's. If you guess incorrectly, you can try again the next day.

4. What are the prizes for winning the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" at Quizno's?

The prizes for winning the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" vary, but they can include free subs, discounts, or other promotional items from Quizno's. The exact prizes and odds of winning may differ between locations, so check with your local Quizno's for more information.

5. Is the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" at Quizno's a game of chance?

No, the "Real-Life Number Puzzle" is not a game of chance. The game follows the same format as the popular TV game show "Deal or No Deal," where players must use logic and strategy to choose which panel to reveal. The numbers behind the panels are predetermined, so it is not purely based on luck.