Distance to the corner of a rectangle

• Thread starter lkh1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangle
You're welcome!In summary, the conversation discussed a problem from the 2011 Malaysian Mathematical Olympiad where Mary is standing in a rectangular garden and the distances from her to the four corners are 6 m, 7 m, 9 m, and d m, respectively, where d is an integer. The conversation explored different approaches to solving for d, including using the Triangle Inequality, area, law of cosine, and Pythagorean Theorem. The final solution was found by labeling the distances clockwise as "6, 7, 9, d" and using the Pythagorean Theorem, resulting in the value of d as 2.
lkh1986

Homework Statement

This question is taken from 2011 Malaysian Mathematical Olympiad.
Mary is standing in a rectangular garden. Her distance to the four corners of the garden are 6 m, 7 m, 9 m and d m, respectively, where d is an integer. Find d.

Homework Equations

Triangle inequality. a + b < c, a + c < b, b + c < a, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the three sides of the triangle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to denote the length of the rectangular garden as a and b, respectively, then from the four triangles formed, I formed some inequality and try to see if the value of d is bounded, but it yields nothing. I have also tried to solve for d by using the concept of area. Also, I tried using the law of cosine and the Pythagorean theorem. But still, I can't find the value for d.

Any other ideas how to approach this problem? Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean Theorem is the way to go. Draw two perpendicular lines "through" Mary. You'll have four right triangles, with 6, 7, 9 and d being the hypotenuses. Use the Pythagorean Theorem four times, and through some manipulation, you'll be able to find d.

eumyang said:
Pythagorean Theorem is the way to go. Draw two perpendicular lines "through" Mary. You'll have four right triangles, with 6, 7, 9 and d being the hypotenuses. Use the Pythagorean Theorem four times, and through some manipulation, you'll be able to find d.

Thanks for the clue. Now I have a clearer direction. I get d = √94, not an integer though, but still, at least I can get the value of d. :)

lkh1986 said:
Thanks for the clue. Now I have a clearer direction. I get d = √94, not an integer though, but still, at least I can get the value of d. :)
I didn't get that answer. Can you double-check?

EDIT: I think I know why our answers differ. It depends on how you label the four distances from Mary to the corners. I took "6, 7, 9 and d, respectively" to mean that you label the line segments clockwise in that fashion. It looks like you labeled them as "6, 9, d and 7," going clockwise, or something similar. Are you looking at a diagram?

Last edited:
[itex]v_{1}^{2}+h_{1}^{2}=6^2=36[/itex]
[itex]v_{1}^{2}+h_{2}^{2}=7^2=49[/itex]
[itex]v_{2}^{2}+h_{1}^{2}=9^2=81[/itex]
[itex]v_{2}^{2}+h_{2}^{2}=d^2[/itex]

[itex]d^2=v{2}^{2}+h_{2}^{2}=130-36=94[/itex]

eumyang said:
EDIT: I think I know why our answers differ. It depends on how you label the four distances from Mary to the corners. I took "6, 7, 9 and d, respectively" to mean that you label the line segments clockwise in that fashion. It looks like you labeled them as "6, 9, d and 7," going clockwise, or something similar. Are you looking at a diagram?

Yup. I should have used the "6, 7, 9, d" clockwise. I recount, and get √68. :)

EDIT: No diagram was given for the question.

Since the question says d is an integer, I try to use other types of 'combination', and when I tried with '6, 9, 7, d' going clockwise, I get d = 2. Yay! Thanks again, eumyang, for the help :)

I had forgotten about the "d is an integer" part when I last posted. :redface: I'm glad you got the answer.

1. What is the distance to the corner of a rectangle?

The distance to the corner of a rectangle is the length of the diagonal line that connects one corner to the opposite corner.

2. How is the distance to the corner of a rectangle calculated?

The distance to the corner of a rectangle can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (diagonal) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. Can the distance to the corner of a rectangle be negative?

No, the distance to the corner of a rectangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value.

4. Does the size of the rectangle affect the distance to the corner?

Yes, the size of the rectangle does affect the distance to the corner. Generally, larger rectangles will have longer distances to the corner compared to smaller rectangles.

5. How is the distance to the corner of a rectangle useful in real life?

The distance to the corner of a rectangle is useful in many real-life situations, such as measuring the diagonal distance of a TV or computer screen, calculating the length of a fencing material needed for a rectangular yard, or determining the diagonal length of a room for furniture placement.