Particle at the edge of nothing

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a particle being trapped inside an infinite potential well and its potential outcomes. The question of what would happen if a photon was trapped inside a box with a size of one wavelength is raised, considering the uncertainty principle and the speed of light. The person asking the question wonders if this scenario would result in the photon slowing down and showing some mass, since it cannot change its wavelength to escape the box. They question if this idea makes sense or if they are missing some basic physics knowledge.
minio
I was just thinking. If I would have particle and an interface behind which there is zero proability of this particle being there, what would happened if I tried to push it over this boundary? It will bounce back, spread along this boundary or happily went into oblivion pretending that it actually could be there?

Physics news on Phys.org
minio said:
I was just thinking. If I would have particle and an interface behind which there is zero proability of this particle being there, what would happened if I tried to push it over this boundary? It will bounce back, spread along this boundary or happily went into oblivion pretending that it actually could be there?

Don't we all do this in undergraduate QM class when we solve for the infinite square well potential, or an infinite barrier?

Zz.

Not if your undegraduate study includes neurobiology, physiology, anatomy and taxonomy of plants and animals...

minio said:
Not if your undegraduate study includes neurobiology, physiology, anatomy and taxonomy of plants and animals...

Then my guess is that your question really isn't about "quantum physics", but rather more general and elementary. It also means that you need to clearly elaborate what you are really asking for. A quantum particle at an infinite barrier is well-known. A classical particle at such a barrier is also well-known (basic 1st year classical mechanics). However, this doesn't appear to be what you have in mind. So a more detailed explanation is needed.

This thread may also be moved.

Zz.

Actually I was looking for infinite quantum well/particle in the box, but I have not known it. It is easy to find something when you know what you are looking for. However I was going to ask different question, I was not sure about the particle in the box outcome.
My real question is, athough I am not sure if it make sense, if I trapped photon inside the box from which it cannot escape and its size is one wavelength of the photon what would happened?
Because as I understand uncertanity principle I cannot determine its exact position along with its momentum. However as the size of the box is its one wavelength it cannot change to longer ones and if it change to higher ones it would break energy conservation. And being photon its velocity is c so no uncertanity there. So in my opinion such case it has to slow down so there could be uncertanity in speed and start to show some mass. Thus in confined environment nothing with mass should be able to reach speed of light and something with speed of light cannot be confined in such way. Am I totally off or does it actually make sense? Or am I missing some 101 physics knowledge again?

What is a "particle at the edge of nothing"?

A "particle at the edge of nothing" refers to a theoretical concept in physics where a particle is located at the boundary of a vacuum or empty space.

How does a particle behave at the edge of nothing?

At the edge of nothing, a particle would experience strange and unpredictable behavior. It could potentially exhibit properties of both a particle and a wave, and may be subject to quantum fluctuations.

What is the significance of studying particles at the edge of nothing?

Studying particles at the edge of nothing can help us better understand the fundamental nature of the universe and the behavior of matter at extremely small scales. It could also potentially lead to advancements in quantum computing and other technologies.

Can particles exist at the edge of nothing?

According to certain theories in physics, particles can indeed exist at the edge of nothing. However, this is still a topic of debate and further research is needed to fully understand the concept.

How is the concept of a "particle at the edge of nothing" related to the concept of the Big Bang?

The concept of a "particle at the edge of nothing" is related to the Big Bang theory in that it helps us understand the origin of the universe and the behavior of particles in the early stages of the universe. It also plays a role in theories about the expansion of the universe and the creation of matter and energy.