Rotation speed of a neutron star

In summary, a neutron star retains the angular momentum of the star from which it formed. Because it is so much smaller than its mama, it must spin rapidly to conserve angular momentum. This is where millisecond pulsars come from. Eventually, they will spin down, but this is a very, very slow process. It is not easy to shed angular momentum without invoking unusual circumstances.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

Can somebody please tell me in details about the rotation speed of a neutron star? Does it rotate very fast and then slows down?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thats the prevailing opinion. A neutron star retains the angular momentum of the star from which it formed. Because it is so much smaller than its mama, it must spin rapidly to conserve angular momentum. This is where millisecond pulsars come from. Eventually, they will spin down, but this is a very, very slow process. It is not easy to shed angular momentum without invoking unusual circumstances.

shounakbhatta said:
Hello,

Can somebody please tell me in details about the rotation speed of a neutron star? Does it rotate very fast and then slows down?

Thanks.

Neutron star rotation ranges up to 50000 rpm. Each star is different. A common pattern is the magnetar, in which a very young neutron star sets up a dynamo that converts most of its rotational speed to a magnetic field. Something like 15% (I forget) of neutron stars are magnetars.

Another common pattern is a star that pulls in matter from a companion. This causes the star to "spin up' and reach extreme rotations. The limit is that at superhigh rotation the star becomes asymmetrical and emits gravitational waves. Maybe 5% of neutron stars are like this.

Isolated neutron stars will eventually slow down, but this takes a very, very long time.

Hello,

What is meant by a magnetar?

A magnetar is a neutron star, generally believed to be relatively young, with an incredibly powerful magnetic field. Most neutron stars are believed to have strong magnetic fields, a magnetar has an unusually powerful magnetic field.

Chronos said:
A magnetar is a neutron star, generally believed to be relatively young, with an incredibly powerful magnetic field. Most neutron stars are believed to have strong magnetic fields, a magnetar has an unusually powerful magnetic field.

The Earth has a magnetic field of about half a gauss. An ordinary neutron star is about a billion gauss, which I find inconceivable. A magnetar has maybe a quadrillion gauss, and is limited to that only because electron-positron pairs start to form spontaneously in the vacuum and carry off the energy. Inside the magnetar the pairs are inhibited by the matter, so it is thought that a quintillion gauss is possible. The magnetic field can be so strong that it changes the shape of atomic nuclei, polymerizes them, and noticeably changes the shape of the star.

The highest magnetic field ever generated on Earth was about ten million gauss, produced momentarily via an explosion. A hundred thousand gauss is enough to levitate a frog.

ImaLooser said:
The Earth has a magnetic field of about half a gauss. An ordinary neutron star is about a billion gauss, which I find inconceivable. A magnetar has maybe a quadrillion gauss, and is limited to that only because electron-positron pairs start to form spontaneously in the vacuum and carry off the energy. Inside the magnetar the pairs are inhibited by the matter, so it is thought that a quintillion gauss is possible. The magnetic field can be so strong that it changes the shape of atomic nuclei, polymerizes them, and noticeably changes the shape of the star.

The highest magnetic field ever generated on Earth was about ten million gauss, produced momentarily via an explosion. A hundred thousand gauss is enough to levitate a frog.

I don't suppose you know what type of radiation/perturbation that particle production would fall under. I'm currently studying Hawking, Unruh, Parker and false vacuum particle production so I am curious which this form of particle production this one would best fall under.

That would be the Schwinger pair production mechanism.

Thanks Chronos

What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a small, incredibly dense celestial object that is created when a massive star collapses in a supernova explosion. It is made up almost entirely of neutrons and has a diameter of only a few miles.

What is the rotation speed of a neutron star?

The rotation speed of a neutron star can vary greatly, but most neutron stars rotate very rapidly, with some spinning hundreds of times per second. This high rotation speed is due to the conservation of angular momentum during the star's collapse.

How is the rotation speed of a neutron star measured?

The rotation speed of a neutron star can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as analyzing the Doppler shifts of its electromagnetic emissions or studying the periodic variations in its X-ray emission. It can also be measured indirectly by observing the effects of the star's rotation on its surrounding environment.

What factors can affect the rotation speed of a neutron star?

The rotation speed of a neutron star can be affected by a number of factors, including the initial rotation of the star before it collapsed, the amount of mass and angular momentum it accretes from its surroundings, and the strength of its magnetic field. Collisions with other objects or interactions with a binary companion star can also impact the rotation speed.

What is the fastest rotating neutron star discovered so far?

The fastest rotating neutron star discovered so far is PSR J1748-2446ad, which spins at a rate of 716 times per second. This was discovered using X-ray observations from the Chandra X-ray Observatory in 2007.