Register to reply

Algebraic proofs for probability equations?

by CuriousBanker
Tags: algebraic, equations, probability, proofs
Share this thread:
CuriousBanker
Mar4-14, 05:17 PM
P: 115
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Everything can be proven as long as you're given the relevant rules and definitions. Otherwise, a proof is impossible.

That's basically it, yes.

Well yeah, but at least one thing has to be unproven right? There's gotta be at least one definition at the stem. Is that the ultimate goal of math to boil everything down to one single definition that everything else can be derived from?

Man I really have a long road ahead of me
micromass
Mar4-14, 05:21 PM
Mentor
P: 18,290
Quote Quote by CuriousBanker View Post
Well yeah, but at least one thing has to be unproven right? There's gotta be at least one definition at the stem. Is that the ultimate goal of math to boil everything down to one single definition that everything else can be derived from?

Man I really have a long road ahead of me
Sure, there will always be things which remain unproven.

But no, I don't think we want to have only one definition where the rest follows from. That would be impossible.

What we want is to take the least amount of axioms and definitions and derive the rest of math from that. The axioms and definitions should however be properly motivated by what happens in nature. So
CuriousBanker
Mar4-14, 05:30 PM
P: 115
Makes sense. Thank you very much

Register to reply