Cheap, high density connector for prototyping?

• Thread starter hxtasy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation is about finding a connector for low current items used in prototyping circuits. The speaker suggests using circular connectors, but they are too expensive. They have been using RJ-45 connectors with pigtails, but are now running out of them. Other suggestions include using RJ-45 break out connectors and male headers. The discussion also touches on the cost implications of high density connectors and alternative solutions such as using a printed circuit board or a high speed serial bus.
hxtasy
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8506

can anyone recommend a connector i can use, to say connect and discconect low current items such as temperature probes, LCDs, for all the prototyping circuits i make.

Circular connectors are high density but they are way too expensive, i don't need it to be rugged. Right now i find stuff laying around similar to that sparkfun link^ that already has pigtails and just solder and heat shrink unto it.

but now I am running out of those. computer/molex connectors just don't have the density I am looking for.

any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you get a crimper, you can use RJ-45 connectors. The females have a slight difficulty in that their pin pitch for the PCB end is not a nice clean 0.1" on center, but you can probably find versions that work for prototype boards...

Thats interesting, i definitely have rj-45 crimp tools. i don't like dealing with that small of a wire, but this is definitely a cheap solution.

anyone else have any ideas?

hxtasy said:
anyone else have any ideas?

Well with higher density comes less pin area to make the connection, so that will likely drive more expensive plating thickness - gold, etc, to provide the same impedance (AC and DC). Also, even if your application is particularly low current and low frequency (if so, what's the point?), there remains a similar mechanical stress per pin experienced during make/break that then must be distributed over less pin, again driving better materials and more precise manufacturing.

In other words, I would not expect the same price per pin in a high density connector that you would see in an 8 pin RJ-45. So then, once the pins are forced to be more expensive, given a more expensive product to start with the industry starts throwing in other features like air-tight seals with O rings, metal shells and strain relief. Voila, you have the expensive circular connectors you are seeing.

The above being the case, a couple alternatives have sprung up:
o Printed circuit board and flex cable (down to 0.5 mm pitch). But then you'll have to pay the overhead for the PCB, contain and mount the PCB if there are environmental issues, etc.
o Redesign your many connections into a high speed serial bus. Many are available with just your kind of problem in mind, and with chip sets to help out.

Likes 1 person
Are male headers too big for your purposes? They make them all different sizes. They're cheap and easy to work with too. All you have to do is find a female ribbon cable to go with it.

Digikey has a large selection of headers.

hxtasy said:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/716
RJ-45 break out connector
these are pretty sweet, price isn't too bad

then you can get some cat5 cables from monoprice for 50 cents

Nice find! I searched for a bit and didn't find anything, but that is perfect! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of a cheap, high density connector for prototyping?

A cheap, high density connector for prototyping is used to connect multiple electronic components together for testing and development purposes. It allows for easy, temporary connections between components without the need for soldering or permanent wiring.

2. How is a high density connector different from a regular connector?

A high density connector has a higher number of pins or contacts, allowing for more connections in a smaller space. This makes it ideal for compact prototypes that require multiple connections.

3. What materials are typically used to make a cheap, high density connector for prototyping?

Cheap, high density connectors are often made from materials such as plastic, metal, or composite materials. The specific material used will depend on the manufacturer and the intended use of the connector.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a cheap, high density connector for prototyping?

One potential drawback is that cheap, high density connectors may not be as durable or long-lasting as more expensive options. They may also have a lower maximum current or voltage rating, making them unsuitable for certain applications.

5. Are there any recommended brands or manufacturers for cheap, high density connectors for prototyping?

There are many different brands and manufacturers that offer cheap, high density connectors for prototyping. It is important to do research and read reviews to find a reliable and reputable brand that meets your specific needs and budget.