Initial and Final Thermal Energies of a Gas

In summary, a 100 cm^3 box (1 X 10^-4 m^3) contains helium at a pressure of 2.0 atm and at a temperature of 100C (373K). It is placed in thermal contact with a 200 cm^3 (2x10^-4 m^3) box containing argon at a pressure of 4.0 atm and a temp. of 400C (673K). a) What is the initial thermal energy of each gas? b) final thermal energy? c)How much heat is transferred? d)Final Temp? e)Final pressure of each?
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A 100cm^3 box (1X10^-4 m^3) contains helium at a pressure of 2.0 atm and at a temperature of 100C (373K) It is placed in thermal contact with a 200cm^3 (2x10^-4 m^3) box containing argon at a pressure of 4.0atm and a temp. of 400C (673K)
a) What is the initial thermal energy of each gas?
b) final thermal energy?
c)How much heat is transferred?
d)Final Temp?
e)Final pressure of each?

OK, I got part a).

First I used [tex] PV = nRT [/tex] to solve for the mols of each gas. Then I used

[tex] E_{th} = 3/2nRT[/tex]

to find the thermal energy of each gas.
Helium- .007mol, 30.4 J
Argon- .0145 mol, 121.6J
These answers for the initial thermal energy are right. My problem starts in part B.

To find the thermal energy of gas A you'd use the formula:

[tex] E_A = \frac{n_A}{n_A+n_B}E_{total} [/tex]

When I use this formula to find the final thermal energy of Helium I get:

[tex] E_{He} = \frac{n_{He}}{n_{He}+n_{Ar}}E_{total} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{.007}{.0215}(152J) = 49.5 J [/tex]

That would also give me 102.5 J for Argon. Both of these final thermal energies are wrong according to the book but I can't see my mistake. Because of this I get part c, d, and e wrong also. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder, since the gases aren't mixing, why use the formula for mixed gases.

My textbook tells me that that formula is not only for mixing gases but also for when two gasous systems thermally interact without mixing. I se no reason, according to my textbook for why I shouldn't use the formula:

[tex] E_{He} = \frac{n_He}{n{He}+n{Ar}}(E_{total} [/tex]

The equilibrium temperature will be reached when the average kinetic energy of the helium atoms ([tex]\epsilon[/tex]) is equal to the average kinetic energy of the Argon atoms:

[tex] \epsilon_{He} = \epsilon_{Ar}= \epsilon_{total} [/tex]

If N is the number of atoms then this implies:

[tex] \frac{E_{He}}{N_{He}} = \frac{E_{Ar}}{N_{Ar}} = \frac{E_{total}}{N_{He}+N_{Ar}} [/tex]

Now if we forget about Argon for now and solve for The final energy of Helium:

[tex] E_{He} = \frac{N_{He}}{N_{He}+N_{Ar}}(E_total) [/tex]

Now if we divide numerator and denominator of that fraction by Avogadro's Number we get (if n is mols):

[tex] E_{He} = \frac{n_{He}}{n_{He}+n_{Ar}}(E_{total}) [/tex]

As you can see the only information needed to derive the equation I used was the fact that the gases were at the same temperature and thus had the same average kinetic energy per molecule. It doesn't matter whether the gases are mixed or not. I know I must have done something wrong. But I can't find it. (Unless of course, my understanding of this formula is wrong and everything I just typed was a collossal waste of time!:smile:)

Last edited:
Bumping the thread

Bumping again

well, you only kept one digit for the amount of Helium ...
I got 104.75 J and 47.25J ... if the book is VERY far off, it is wrong.
(we know that there's about twice as many Argons as Heliums,
and we know how much Energy there is to split between them ...
these are both monatomic; there's no expansion, nothing subtle here.

Your answers are exactly what the book got. I'm not doubting they are right . I just can't find what I did wrong. Did you use the formulas I used or different ones. I have no idea why my method didn't work. What did you do that was different from what I did?

Last edited:
keep more sig figs ... 3 is usually okay, 4 is better. ONE is NEVER enough.
You're within 3% of the book's answer, what do you want for roundoff?!

SERIOUSLY IS IT sig figs that have been screwing me up this entire time! OK I'm getting answers much closer now thank you. Man I hate sig figs...... funny I feel stupid because I ended up knowing how to do the problem the entire time lol.

1. What is the concept of initial and final thermal energies of a gas?

The initial and final thermal energies of a gas refer to the amount of thermal energy possessed by a gas at the beginning and end of a process, respectively.

2. How is the initial and final thermal energy of a gas calculated?

The initial and final thermal energies of a gas can be calculated using the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the gas, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the initial and final thermal energies of a gas?

The initial and final thermal energies of a gas can be affected by factors such as the type and mass of the gas, the specific heat capacity, and the change in temperature.

4. How do the initial and final thermal energies of a gas relate to each other?

The initial and final thermal energies of a gas are directly related to each other. The final thermal energy will always be equal to or greater than the initial thermal energy, as energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred.

5. What is the significance of knowing the initial and final thermal energies of a gas?

Knowing the initial and final thermal energies of a gas can help in understanding the energy transfer and efficiency of a process. It can also be used to calculate other important parameters, such as work done and final temperature, which can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications.