Why are regge trajectories of hadrons opposite to classical physics?

• Thread starter EroticNirvana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectories
In summary, the origins of string theory are based on the observations of the regge trajectories pert. to hadrons. Interestingly, the energy-momentum relationship is reversed if you ignore the potential of the wave equation. However, this is only the case in classical physics. In summary, the origins of string theory are based on the observations of the regge trajectories pert. to hadrons. Interestingly, the energy-momentum relationship is reversed if you ignore the potential of the wave equation. However, this is only the case in classical physics.
EroticNirvana
OK the very origin of string theory is based on the observations of the regge trajectories pert. to hadrons. Funnily enough you get the relation that the ang. mom. is directly proporitional to the square of the energy (if i remember correctly) which would not be the case if we were dealing with, say, a rod.
Well if you ignore the potential of the wave eq. for a moment (we set it to 0), we somewhat appr. get p^2~E where p is momentum and E is energy and ~ is the symbol for proportionality. That seems to be the reversed relation. Of course, this is the relation in classical physics, but classical physics is a apprx. of the more "correct" QM so let's stick to QM. And I'm igoring theory of rel. for the moment.

Well, the above is a bit fuzzy, but if anyone knows why you have these opposite relations. I know there are lot of assymmetries here, like the first case concerns angular momentum, while the second case is not restricted in that manner.

Physics news on Phys.org
EroticNirvana said:
,,,And I'm igoring theory of rel. for the moment.

Well, if you don't ignore relativity, the energy momentum relationship (c=1) is [tex]E^2 = p^2 - m^2[/tex]. The Regge trajectories DO have to be explained, i.e. they don't just fall out of obvious physics. That is why physicsts tried to explain them and, as you say, came up with the beginnings of string theory.

well, they can relatively easily be explained if you consider the moment of inertia of a string and some simple relations. And of course, string theoretically, it can be explained, but that's really difficult. But even if the trajectories are explained one wonders about the relation i stated in my first message. I'm not sure if no one is able to explain it today of someone really slick with string theory can.

1. What are "Regge trajectories" and why are they important in the study of hadrons?

"Regge trajectories" are a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles in high energy physics. They are important in the study of hadrons because they provide a way to understand and predict the properties of these particles based on their spin and mass.

2. How are "Regge trajectories" related to the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for binding quarks together to form hadrons. "Regge trajectories" are related to the strong nuclear force because they help us understand how the spin and mass of hadrons are related to each other, which is an important factor in determining the strength of the strong nuclear force.

3. Can "Regge trajectories" be applied to all types of hadrons?

Yes, "Regge trajectories" can be applied to all types of hadrons, including baryons (containing three quarks) and mesons (containing a quark and an antiquark). They can also be applied to other particles, such as resonances and exotic hadrons.

4. How do "Regge trajectories" help us understand the structure of hadrons?

"Regge trajectories" provide a way to classify hadrons based on their spin and mass, which can give insights into their internal structure. They also help us understand how different types of hadrons are related to each other and how they behave at different energies.

5. Are there any current research developments related to "Regge trajectories" and hadron physics?

Yes, there is ongoing research in this field, particularly in using "Regge trajectories" to study the properties of exotic hadrons and to understand the nature of the strong nuclear force at high energies. Additionally, new theoretical and experimental techniques are being developed to improve our understanding of "Regge trajectories" and their applications in hadron physics.