Optical analog to digital converter

In summary: I design my own A/Ds. In summary, the idea behind an "optical" A/D is to use optics to accomplish the analog to digital conversion. The input and output are electronic. This design is quite simple and should be quite fast. However, the speed of an individual conversion is not usually of much importance.
Originally posted by NateTG
Slightly OT:

Njorl - are semiconductor lasers suitable for amplifying existing light signals?

I only have passing experience with it, so I may get things wrong. I think the "Q" of a good semiconductor laser is not a good "Q" for a good amplifier. I know some people were working on the idea, but I don't know if they got it to work. Last I heard, the best course was to just make the most powerful laser you can, and use a modulator (no amplification) to get the signal level you wanted.

Njorl

Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by dlgoff
Njorl,

Thank you for explaining the ups and downs.

Couldn't it be done with a large enough scale where resonance doesn't come into play? i.e. just reflections and not "standing waves"? Am I missing something here?
Sincerely

I suppose so, I don't know. Maybe I've been working in waveguides so long I shy away from free space. Free space is messy. I worked with a lot of applications where we needed 80 dB of signal to noise, so free space was never any use. I may very well be falling prey to my own prejudices. It happens to us old folks. One of the best things about students is they suggest things that are just "unacceptably silly" but wind up working.

Njorl

posted by Njorl
...It happens to us old folks. One of the best things about students is they suggest things that are just "unacceptably silly" but wind up working.
Know what you mean. I'm one of those semi-old folks.

Anyway. Thank you and everyone else for their input. Maybe some one will take this idea and do something with it.

regards