Which molecule has two lone pairs on the central atom?

• Thread starter lorka150
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the conversation is discussing the identification of a molecule with two lone pairs on the central atom. The participants suggest ruling out PCl3 and iodomethane, and consider XeF4 as a possible candidate due to its square planar or octahedral structure with two lone pairs. The bonds in the molecule are also mentioned as being hybridized.
lorka150
I have to figure out which has two lone pairs on the central atom between PCl3, ICl4^+, CH3I, XeF4, PCl6^-.

Is it PCl3? I think I did it right but I am not sure.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think you are correct. The three 3p3 electrons of P should be bonded to the three Cls, each one forming single bonds. That leaves the pair of 3s2 electons unshared. Haven't even looked at the other choices, since I feel PCl3 is the one.

If incorrect, please someone let me know.

Best of luck.

Steve

hi Steve, thanks.
I re-checked my answer and realize I think I read the question wrong... Two lone pairs, meaning four all together (I was interpreting it like two, not two pairs) if that makes sense. Then I think it's XeF4.

Smith4046 said:
Think you are correct. The three 3p3 electrons of P should be bonded to the three Cls, each one forming single bonds. That leaves the pair of 3s2 electons unshared. Haven't even looked at the other choices, since I feel PCl3 is the one.

If incorrect, please someone let me know.

Best of luck.

Steve

The bonds are not strictly s and p bonds, but rather are spd hybridized.

[itex]PCl_{3}[/itex] has only one lone pair. So, you can rule it out.

Carbon must obey the octet rule, so you can rule out iodomethane.

Try drawing Lewis structures for the other 3. One is square planar (octahedral), thanks to its two lone pairs.

Last edited:

1. What are lone pairs on a central atom?

Lone pairs refer to pairs of electrons that are not involved in bonding and are located on the central atom of a molecule or ion. They are also known as non-bonding pairs or non-bonding electrons.

2. How do lone pairs affect molecular geometry?

Lone pairs on a central atom can affect the shape of a molecule by pushing bonded atoms closer together, resulting in a distorted molecular geometry. This is known as the "lone pair repulsion" effect.

3. How do I determine the number of lone pairs on a central atom?

The number of lone pairs on a central atom can be determined by deducting the number of bonded electrons (from bonding pairs) from the total number of valence electrons available for the atom. For example, if an atom has 6 valence electrons and is involved in 2 bonds, it will have 2 lone pairs (6 - 2 - 2 = 2).

4. What is the significance of lone pairs in chemical reactions?

Lone pairs can play a key role in chemical reactions by acting as electron donors or acceptors. They can also influence the reactivity and stability of molecules, as well as the strength of intermolecular forces.

5. Can lone pairs be shared between atoms?

Lone pairs can be shared between atoms in certain situations, such as in resonance structures or in molecules with multiple bonds. However, lone pairs typically prefer to remain on the central atom and are not commonly shared between atoms in chemical compounds.