Calculating Temperature Change of Steel Strut in Submarine

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in temperature of a steel strut in a submarine engine room. The formula DeltaT = Q/mc is used, where Q is the absorbed energy, m is the mass of the steel strut, and c is the specific heat capacity of steel. The mass is calculated using the density of steel and the given cross-sectional area and length.
BunDa4Th

Homework Statement

Suppose a steel strut with cross-sectional area 7.00x10^-4 m2 and length 2.50 m is bolted between two rigid bulkheads in the engine room of a submarine.
(a) Calculate the change in temperature of the strut if it absorbs an energy of 3.00x10^5 J. °C

Homework Equations

Q = mcDeltaT
DeltaT = Q/mc

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the formula DeltaT = Q/mc

Delta T = 3.00 x 10^5/ m(448 J/kg *C)

the problem I am having is how do i find the mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Density of steel [tex]\rho _{steel} = 7.8 \times 10^3\ kg/m^3[/tex]

I still don't understand how to solve this problem knowing the density of steel.

Use it to find the mass of the steel.

m = psteelV

how do i find v?

Last edited:
No. You are given the cross sectional area and the length. Do you know how to calculate the volume from this information?

okay i figure out how to solve this.

it was P_steel x cross sec. area / length = m

Not quite: V=A*l (where A is the cross sec. area, l is the length). Above you had the correct forumla: m= ρ*V and so m= ρ*A*l

oops, my mistake. yes i did mean m = p x A x l that was how i got the correct answer.

Thanks for the correction and help.

1. How do you calculate the temperature change of a steel strut in a submarine?

The temperature change of a steel strut in a submarine can be calculated by using the formula ΔT = Q/mC, where ΔT is the change in temperature, Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the steel strut, and C is the specific heat capacity of steel. This formula takes into account the amount of heat transferred and the properties of the steel strut.

2. What factors affect the temperature change of a steel strut in a submarine?

Several factors can affect the temperature change of a steel strut in a submarine. The most significant factors include the heat transferred from the surrounding water, the mass and specific heat capacity of the steel strut, and the duration of exposure to different temperatures. Other factors such as insulation and ventilation in the submarine may also play a role.

3. How does the temperature change of a steel strut in a submarine impact its structural integrity?

The temperature change of a steel strut in a submarine can have a significant impact on its structural integrity. Extreme changes in temperature can cause the steel to expand or contract, which can lead to stress and potential damage to the strut. It is crucial to accurately calculate and monitor the temperature change of the steel strut to ensure the safety and stability of the submarine.

4. Is there a maximum temperature change that a steel strut in a submarine can withstand?

Steel struts in submarines are designed to withstand a wide range of temperatures. However, there is a maximum temperature change that they can safely withstand. This will depend on the specific material and design of the strut. It is essential to consult with experts and analyze the data to determine the maximum temperature change that a steel strut in a submarine can withstand.

5. Are there any safety measures in place to prevent extreme temperature changes in steel struts in submarines?

Yes, there are several safety measures in place to prevent extreme temperature changes in steel struts in submarines. These may include insulation, ventilation, and monitoring systems that can detect and regulate the temperature in the submarine. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections can help identify and address any potential issues with the steel struts before they become a safety concern.