Electric Potential on the z-axis

In summary, the potential V(z) on the z-axis due to a finite segment of wire with linear charge density lambda extending along the x-axis from x=-a/2 to x=a/2 can be found by using direct integration over the charge on the wire segment. This involves using the electric potential dV at a point P due to the charge element dq, which is given by dV=ke dq/r, where r is the distance from the charge element to point P. By integrating this expression over the length of the wire and using the substitution u=a^2+b^2, the final expression for V is given by V=ke lambda ln(a+√(a^2+b^2)).
Rockstar47

Homework Statement

Use direct integration over the charge on a wire segment to find the potential V(z) on the z-axis due to a finite segment of wire with linear charge density lambda extending along the x-axis from x = - a/2 to +a/2

Homework Equations

The electric potential dV at some point P due to the charge element dq is
dV = ke dq / r
where r is the distance from the charge element to point P.

Thus the total potential can be found by integrating:

V = ke integral of dq / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sort of lost here, but I have a few thoughts. I'd appreciate some critique of my work here and hopefully some help...unless, of course, I'm right. Then letting me know that would surely help :D.

I assume the wire has length a (since it extends from - a/2 to +a/2). Using right-triangle geometry, I believe the distance from the x-axis to any element on the z-axis will be equal to the square root of a^2 + b^2 (where b is the distance on the z-axis). So, I'll integrate this over the limits x = o to x = a and I come up with V = ke lamdba integral of dx / square root of a^2 + b^2. Such an integral appears in the table in my book and so V becomes equal to
ke lamda ln(a + (square root of a^2 + b^2).

Am I close here...or way off? Thanks a bunch for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct. The potential at point P due to the charge element dq is given by dV= ke dq/r, where r is the distance from the charge element to point P. In this case, the distance r is given by the Pythagorean theorem as you have correctly stated.

To find the total potential V, we need to integrate this expression over the entire length of the wire, from x=-a/2 to x=a/2. This gives us V=ke∫dq/r= ke∫lambda dx/√(a^2+b^2).

To evaluate this integral, we can use the substitution u=a^2+b^2, which gives us du/dx=2x. This means that dx=du/2x. Substituting this into our integral gives us V=ke∫lambda/2x du=ke/2∫lambda/u du.

Now, we can evaluate this integral as u goes from a^2 to a^2+b^2. This gives us V=ke/2 [lambda ln(a^2+b^2)-lambda ln(a^2)]. Simplifying this expression gives us the final result: V=ke lambda ln(a+√(a^2+b^2)).

So, your approach was correct and you were able to find the correct expression for the potential due to a finite segment of wire with linear charge density. Keep up the good work!

Your approach is on the right track. To find the potential at a point on the z-axis, we can use the equation V = ke integral of dq / r, where r is the distance from the charge element to the point on the z-axis.

Since we are only considering a finite segment of wire, we can break it up into small charge elements dq and integrate over the entire length of the wire. The distance r can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, as you mentioned.

Thus, the integral becomes V = ke integral of lambda dx / square root of (a^2 + b^2), where lambda is the linear charge density and dx is the small charge element.

Evaluating this integral from x = -a/2 to x = a/2, we get V = ke lambda ln(a + square root of (a^2 + b^2)) - ke lambda ln(a - square root of (a^2 + b^2)). Simplifying this expression, we get V = ke lambda ln((a + square root of (a^2 + b^2)) / (a - square root of (a^2 + b^2))).

This is the potential at a point on the z-axis due to a finite segment of wire with linear charge density lambda extending along the x-axis from x = -a/2 to x = a/2. I hope this helps clarify your approach.

1. What is electric potential on the z-axis?

Electric potential on the z-axis refers to the electric potential at any point along the z-axis in a three-dimensional coordinate system. It represents the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at that point.

2. How is electric potential on the z-axis measured?

Electric potential on the z-axis is typically measured in volts (V) using an instrument called a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to two points along the z-axis and measures the difference in electric potential between those points.

3. What factors affect the electric potential on the z-axis?

The electric potential on the z-axis is affected by the distance from the source of the electric field, the strength of the electric field, and the charge of the particles in the field. It also depends on the medium through which the electric field is passing.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the electric potential on the z-axis?

The direction of the electric field affects the electric potential on the z-axis by determining the direction of the electric force. If the electric field is pointing in the same direction as the z-axis, the electric potential will decrease as you move along the z-axis. If the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction, the electric potential will increase along the z-axis.

5. How is electric potential on the z-axis used in real-world applications?

Electric potential on the z-axis is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in electric motors, batteries, and capacitors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, which is relevant in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and energy production.