Life with Bipolar Disorder: Coping Strategies

In summary, the author says that if the meds prescribed by a doctor don't always work, she would tell her doctor. Additionally, she says that CBT may help with reducing the severity and length of auditory hallucinations.
bit188
Hello. I am a thirteen year old recently diagnosed with type one bipolar disorder with psychotic features.

Thing is, my meds don't always work. I can't deal with the voices when I am sick. My only coping strategy is my iPod. Are there any ways to make them go away? Thank you *so* much.

Biology news on Phys.org
I would tell my physician if the meds don't always work. Sometimes it can take two or three years to find out what kind of meds work best for you as an individual.

You are lucky you were diagnosed so young.

I agree with wuliheron, if your meds are not always working, tell your doctor. S/he can adjust your dose or put you on a different medication. Always keep in touch with your doctor about anything that doesn't "feel" right when on a new medication (or even an old one if it seems to stop working), whether it's because the medication isn't doing enough to treat your symptoms, or is having some side effects you don't like, or even if you are feeling unwell for an unrelated reason and are considering an over-the-counter medicine to check that they are safe to mix.

You might also explore the possibility of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). While it doesn't always reduce the severity or length of auditory hallucinations, it may help with getting some control over how you allow them to affect your life. I found an abstract for a study on CBT and "coping training" (involving patients with schizophrenia or related psychotic disorders) that looked promising.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11380310&dopt=Abstract
Cognitive behaviour therapy with coping training for persistent auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia: a naturalistic follow-up study of the durability of effects.

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the durability of positive effects of cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) with coping training on psychotic symptoms and social functioning. Method: Forty patients with schizophrenia or related psychotic disorders and refractory auditory hallucinations were given CBT and coping training in an integrated single family treatment programme. In a naturalistic study patients were followed after 2 and 4 years since the start of treatment. RESULTS: The treatment improved overall burden of 'hearing voices', with a generalization into daily functioning. Improvement with regard to fear, loss of control, disturbance of thought and interference with thinking was sustained by 60% of the patients while one-third improved further. Complete disappearance of hallucinations occurred in 18% of the patients. CONCLUSION: CBT with coping training can improve both overall symptomatology and quality of life, even over longer periods of time, but a status of persistent disablement indicates a continuing need for mental health care.
Anyway, just something you might ask your doctor about.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll definitely be talking to my doctor about meds.

Thanks again, bit188

1. What is bipolar disorder?

Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition characterized by extreme shifts in mood, energy, and activity levels. Individuals with bipolar disorder experience periods of intense highs (mania) and lows (depression), which can significantly impact their daily functioning.

2. What are some common coping strategies for individuals with bipolar disorder?

Some common coping strategies for individuals with bipolar disorder include maintaining a regular sleep schedule, practicing relaxation techniques (such as deep breathing or mindfulness meditation), seeking support from loved ones or a therapist, and managing stress through healthy outlets like exercise or hobbies.

3. Can lifestyle changes help manage bipolar disorder?

Yes, making certain lifestyle changes can be beneficial in managing bipolar disorder. These can include establishing a routine, avoiding alcohol and drugs, eating a healthy and balanced diet, and engaging in regular physical activity.

4. Are there any medications that can help with bipolar disorder?

Yes, there are several medications that can help with bipolar disorder, including mood stabilizers, antidepressants, and antipsychotics. It is important to work closely with a psychiatrist to find the right medication and dosage for your specific needs.

5. How can I support a loved one with bipolar disorder?

One of the best ways to support a loved one with bipolar disorder is to educate yourself about the condition and its symptoms. Additionally, offer emotional support and encouragement, be understanding and patient, and help them with any necessary lifestyle changes or medication management.