Equations for the initial and final momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the equations for conservation of momentum and energy to derive a quadratic equation that can be solved for the momentum of a particle in terms of the frequency of a photon before and after a collision. There is confusion about the initial and final states of the particle and photon, but eventually a correct solution is obtained. The resulting equation involves a square root term with both the energy and frequency of the photon.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

How does one use the equations for the conservation of momentum and energy (see my last post in this forum)

[tex] cp' = cp +\hbar(\omega+\omega') [/tex]
[tex] E' = E +\hbar(\omega-\omega') [/tex]

to derive the following

[tex] cp = -(\hbar\omega + \hbar\omega')/2 + sqrt(1+(m^2c^4/(h-bar\omega\omega')) (\hbar\omega - \hbar\omega')/2) [/tex]
and
[tex] cp = (\hbar\omega + \hbar\omega')/2 + sqrt(1+(m^2c^4/(h-bar\omega\omega')) (\hbar\omega - \hbar\omega')/2) [/tex]

Homework Equations

with Einstein's equation [tex] E^2 = (cp)^2 + (mc^2)^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to a quadratic equation with
a = 4*omega*omega'
b = 4*\hbar*(omega*omega')(omega + omega')
c = 4*\hbar^2*omega^2*omega'^2 - m^2*c^4*(omega - omega')^2 but that does not work. If I work backwards, I get something that is very close to this except without the first term in c. But I double-checked everything and could not find any mistakes.

By the way, how can I make those h-bar's with TeX syntax?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
\hbar

[tex] \hbar [/tex]

Does my question make sense to people?

What's not clear to me is what is the difference between E and omega. For a photon for example, E=hbar*omega. So what's with an equation with both E and omega in it?

That relationship between E and omega is used here to describe the conservation of energy. The conservation of energy equation here can be interpreted as the energy of the particle after the collision is equal to its energy before the collision plus h-bar times the change in frequency of the photon. That equation, with the conservation of momentum and Einstein's relation should allow you to express cp and cp' in terms of the frequencies. The math just doesn't seem to work out for me though :(

Sorry the second one should be cp'.

Last edited:
Can you describe exactly what the collision problem is? If it's a photon then m=0. Since you've got a m in there I assume there is a third particle? See how confused I am?!

You're right. I changed my last post so it makes sense. The experiment involves a particle (of mass m) with unknown energy (E) and unkown momentum (p). A leftward-moving photon with a known frequency (w) collides with the particle and returns rightward and the photon's new frequency (w') is measured.

In this case you have four unknown states to work with, the initial state of the particle and the photon and the final state of particle and photon. But I only see one 'p' in your solution. Are you sure the particle isn't initially at rest?

The initial (w) and final (w') frequencies of the photon are known. You can calculate the initial (p_photon) and final (p_photon') momenta of the photon if you wanted to via the equation cp_photon = hw.

Your final state cp involves only the energy momenta of the photons. There is no room for an initial state on the massive particle. The question is badly stated.

I do not understand your last post. Firstly there is only one photon. Secondly, what do you mean "There is no room for an initial state on the massive particle"? The goal is to express the initial and final momentum of the massive particle in terms of the initial and final frequency of the photon.

The two photons refer to incoming and outgoing. My point is that in your final equation there is only the energy of these and 'p', which I assume to be the final momentum of the massive particle. Where is the initial momentum of the massive particle? You can't determine outgoing without it. Is it zero!?

Uh, I take that last comment back. Sorry. After sitting down and actually working it out, you can eliminate the initial particle state and final particle energy in favor of the photon energies. And the result is very like what you posted except that I get the +/- on the sqrt term.

Yes--if it is a quadratic it should be +/- (but I'm not sure how multiple solutions makes sense in the context of this problem). But which a, b, and c did you plug into the quadratic formula? Mine are not correct are they?

Last edited:
Ok. Here's what I got:

a=1
b=-(gi+gf)
c=m^2/2+gi*gf-(gi^2+gf^2)/(4*gi*gf)

where I've put c=1 and gi and gf are the photon energies. Which looks sort of like your results divided by gi*gf. I'm not suprised you are having problems, that's about my sixth try. It's really easy to make a mistake. But I don't think you are doing anything fundamentally wrong. Just algebra.

BTW the two solutions to the quadratic correspond to reversing the initial and final states.

Sorry, when I plug in your abc to the quadratic formula I get this for the square root term:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\hbar^2(\omega+\omega')^2-2m^2c^4+4\hbar^2\omega\omega'-\frac{\omega+\omega'}{\omega\omega'}}}{2}[/tex]

I do not see how this reduces to the square root term in the originial equation:

[tex]\sqrt{1+\frac{m^2c^4}{\hbar^2\omega\omega'}} \frac{\hbar\omega - \hbar\omega'}{2}[/tex]

I'm sorry too. Left out a factor of m^2 on the last term of c.

c=m^2/2+gi*gf-(gi^2+gf^2)*m^2/(4*gi*gf).

Last edited:
I see. Thanks.

What is the equation for initial momentum?

The equation for initial momentum is pi = mivi, where pi is initial momentum, mi is mass, and vi is initial velocity.

What is the equation for final momentum?

The equation for final momentum is pf = mfvf, where pf is final momentum, mf is mass, and vf is final velocity.

How are initial and final momentum related?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, initial and final momentum are equal in a closed system. This means that the initial and final momentum equations can be set equal to each other: pi = pf.

What is the difference between initial and final momentum?

The main difference between initial and final momentum is that initial momentum refers to the momentum of an object before any changes occur, while final momentum refers to the momentum of an object after changes have occurred.

How are initial and final momentum affected by changes in mass and velocity?

If the mass or velocity of an object changes, then both the initial and final momentum will also change. This is because momentum is directly proportional to both mass and velocity. An increase in mass or velocity will result in an increase in momentum, and a decrease in mass or velocity will result in a decrease in momentum.