Square Coil, Round Hole and mutual inductance

In summary, a wire coil is placed inside a solenoid with circular cross section and 149 turns of wire. The current in the solenoid is 3.29 A and the flux through the coil is to be found. The issue is that the strength of the magnetic field inside the solenoid (B) is unknown. Using the equation for finding the field inside a solenoid, the problem can be solved.
KidA

Homework Statement

A square, single-turn wire coil L = 1.13 cm on a side is placed inside a solenoid that has a circular cross section of radius r = 2.77 cm, as shown in the figure below.

Basically a big circle with a square in the center.

The solenoid is 20.0 cm long and wound with 149 turns of wire. If the current in the solenoid is 3.29 A, find the flux through the coil.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that this was a problem dealing with mutual inductance, but there isn't an equation that will give me the variable I need.
Є=-(ΔNΔΦ/Δt)
I don't know the induced emf (Є), and there isn't any change in time (Δt)
The equation for finding the flux doesn't help either:
Φ=BAcosΘ
I don't know the strength of the magnetic field (B). I really don't know what else to add. I've searched my book and pondered over every equation trying to find some way to solve this. I hope I don't piss anyone off due to lack of information, but this is my first time on this forum.

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
KidA said:
I don't know the strength of the magnetic field (B).
There's your problem. You should know how to find the field inside a solenoid. :wink:

Doc Al said:
There's your problem. You should know how to find the field inside a solenoid. :wink:

Ahhh, I should have known that. Thank you very much.

What is a square coil?

A square coil is a type of inductor that has a square-shaped loop of wire. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to store and transfer energy.

What is a round hole?

A round hole in the context of mutual inductance refers to the circular opening or gap in the center of a coil. It is where the magnetic flux from one coil passes through to induce a current in another nearby coil.

What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is the measure of the ability of two coils to transfer energy between each other. It occurs when a changing current in one coil induces a voltage in the other coil through the coupling of their magnetic fields.

How does a square coil with a round hole affect mutual inductance?

A square coil with a round hole can increase the mutual inductance between two coils. This is because the magnetic flux is concentrated in the center of the coil, making it easier for the flux to pass through the round hole and induce a current in the nearby coil.

What are some applications of square coil, round hole and mutual inductance?

Square coil, round hole, and mutual inductance are commonly used in electronic circuits for energy storage, power transfer, and signal transmission. They also have applications in wireless charging, transformers, and electric motors.