How Fast Does a Ball Roll Down an Inclined Plane?

In summary: So the problem is just a calculator slip up, it seems. In summary, a ball of mass 2.30 kg and radius 0.142 m is released from rest on a plane inclined at an angle q = 42.0° with respect to the horizontal. After it has rolled a distance d=1.35 m, the ball's speed is calculated using the equation .5mv^2+.5I(v^2/R^2) = mgdsin(angle), with a moment of inertia of 1.70E-2 kg·m2. However, the calculated speed may be incorrect due to a possible error in plugging in the numbers into a calculator.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 2.30 kg and radius 0.142 m is released from rest on a plane inclined at an angle q = 42.0° with respect to the horizontal. How fast is the ball moving (in m/s) after it has rolled a distance d=1.35 m? Assume that the ball rolls without slipping, and that its moment of inertia about its center of mass is 1.70E-2 kg·m2.

Homework Equations

.5mv^2+.5I(v^2/R^2) = mgdsin(angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the numbers to equation above and got 3.2 m/s by solving for v...am I doing something wrong, because it is not the right answer?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
sheri1987 said:
.5mv^2+.5I(v^2/R^2) = mgdsin(angle)
Your error is assuming that the only force acting on the ball parallel to the plane is the component of its weight. Not so. (What other force must act so that the ball rolls instead of slides?)

Edit: I was wrong--your equation is fine.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Your error is assuming that the only force acting on the ball parallel to the plane is the component of its weight. Not so. (What other force must act so that the ball rolls instead of slides?)

I don't see the error in the OP's formula. The force you are thinking about does not do any work.

to the OP: What equation did you use for the moment of inertia? The one for a full sphere?

EDIT: never mind my last question, I had not noticed that the moment of inertia itself was given. Then it must simply be a mistake of plugging in the calculator.

Last edited:
I am not sure what other force, that is probably my problem

Doc Al said:

The OP is just using a conservation of energy equation. How can that be wrong? I put the numbers in and got a similar number but somewhat larger. I think it's just some kind of calculator slip up.

nrqed said:
I don't see the error in the OP's formula. The force you are thinking about does not do any work.

to the OP: What equation did you use for the moment of inertia? The one for a full sphere?

It looks like the moment of inertia was given in the problem statement.

nrqed said:
You're right--my bad!

No equation needed--the moment of inertia is given.

Dick said:
The OP is just using a conservation of energy equation. How can that be wrong? I put the numbers in and got a similar number but somewhat larger. I think it's just some kind of calculator slip up.
Yep, you're right. :redface:

Dick said:
It looks like the moment of inertia was given in the problem statement.

Yes, thank you. I edited my post when I noticed that.

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the speed of the ball rolling down?

The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will roll down. This is because the force of gravity pulling the ball downwards is greater on a steeper incline, causing the ball to accelerate more quickly.

2. Does the mass of the ball affect its speed on an incline?

Yes, the mass of the ball does have an effect on its speed on an incline. A heavier ball will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, causing it to accelerate more quickly down the incline compared to a lighter ball.

3. What is the relationship between the length of the incline and the distance the ball will travel?

The longer the incline, the further the ball will travel. This is because the ball has more time to accelerate and gain speed as it rolls down the longer incline.

4. How does friction affect the motion of the ball on an incline?

Friction between the ball and the incline will slow down the ball's speed. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the incline and the material of the ball.

5. What factors contribute to the acceleration of the ball on an incline?

The main factors that contribute to the acceleration of the ball on an incline are the angle of the incline, the mass of the ball, and the presence of friction. These all affect the force of gravity acting on the ball, which determines its acceleration.