Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure

• Thread starter tachu101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the problem involves finding the angle at which a regular polygon of 11 sides, with sides measuring 1.32 meters, will tip over on an adjustable incline. The solution includes calculating the center of mass and using trigonometry to determine the angle of 16.4 degrees. The area of the cross section of the polygon is also found to be 16.3 m^2 using a formula derived from isosceles triangles.
tachu101

Homework Statement

A regular polygon of 11 sides is on an adjustable incline. The polygon has sides on 1.32 meters each. At what angle of the incline will the polygon tip over. Extra: what is the area of a cross section of the polygon.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem has to do with center of mass. I have to calculate at what angle the center of mass will be over the 90 degree mark.

I found that each interior angle of the 11 sided figure is 147.27 degrees. I then don't know how to explain it but I took half of that angle and ended up with 73.63 degrees. Because the center of mass has to be at a right angle to tip over I then did 90-73.63= 16.4 degrees and I think that this is my answer.

The area of the cross section I think is 16.3 m^2 because I looked up an equation on wikipedia that said the area is equal to 9.356*(side length)^2

Can anyone confirm this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right on both. You might try thinking about how to derive the wikipedia formula. It's not that hard. Split the polygon into 11 isosceles triangles with a vertex at the center. The central angle is 360/11. Do trig.

I would approach this problem by first verifying the given information. I would double check the number of sides, as well as the length of each side, to ensure accuracy in my calculations. I would also clarify what is meant by "adjustable incline" - is it a ramp or a platform that can be tilted? This will affect the calculations for the tipping angle.

Next, I would use the formula for calculating the center of mass of a regular polygon to determine the location of the center of mass for the 11-sided figure. This will give me a better understanding of how the weight is distributed within the figure and how it will affect its stability on the incline.

Once I have determined the center of mass, I can then use principles of torque and equilibrium to calculate the tipping angle. This will involve considering the weight of the figure, the angle of the incline, and the location of the center of mass.

As for the area of the cross section, the formula given in the attempt at a solution seems to be correct, but it is always important to double check and verify any equations used for calculations.

In conclusion, solving this tricky tipping problem requires a thorough understanding of geometry, physics, and mathematical principles. It is important to double check all given information and to carefully consider the forces at play in order to arrive at an accurate solution.

1. What is the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure"?

The "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the minimum number of tips needed to ensure that a convex 11-sided figure can be completely covered with a single tip.

2. How is the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" relevant in real life?

The "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" has practical applications in fields such as manufacturing, packaging, and logistics, where efficient use of space is important. It can also be used to optimize the placement of sensors in a network.

3. What is the solution to the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure"?

The solution to the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" is 6, meaning that at least 6 tips are needed to cover the entire 11-sided figure without any gaps or overlaps.

4. How is the solution to the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" calculated?

The solution to the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the number of sides and angles of the figure. This formula can also be applied to other convex polygons with an odd number of sides.

5. Are there any variations of the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure"?

Yes, there are variations of the "Tricky Tipping Problem; 11 sided figure" that involve different types of polygons, such as non-convex polygons or polygons with an even number of sides. These variations may have different solutions and can be solved using different mathematical approaches.