Showing it is orthogonally diagonalizable

• Thread starter braindead101
  • Start date
In summary, to show that AB is orthogonally diagonalizable, we can use the fact that commuting matrices are simultaneously diagonalizable. By showing that the eigenvectors of A and B are the same, we can conclude that AB is diagonalized by the same matrix Q and is therefore orthogonally diagonalizable.
braindead101
Suppose that the real matrices A and B are orthogonally diagonalizable and AB=BA. Show that AB is orthogonally diagonalizable.

I know that orthogonally diagonalizable means that you can find an orthogonal matrix Q and a Diagonal matrix D so Q^TAQ=D, A=QDQ^T.

I am aware of the Real Spectral Theorem which states that "A real (mxn)-matrix A is orthogonally diagonalizable if and only if A is symmetric"

I got a hint saying I am suppose to use the Real Spectral Theorem twice to show it. But I am still unsure as to how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
i am not femiliar with the termin "orthogonally diagonalizable "

in order to proove that its diagonazable you need to proove
that the eigenvectors are independant

orthogonal meens perpandicular
so i think you should take the columns of the matrix
and if the multiplication of each vector by another equals to zero
then its orthogonal

Use the fact that commuting matrices are simultaneously diagonalizable.

Specifically, since B commutes with A, if v is an eigenvector of A with eigenvalue a, then A(Bv)=B(Av)=B(av)=a(Bv), so Bv is another eigenvector of A with the same eigenvalue. Now, if the eigenspace corresponding to the eigenvalue a is one dimensional, this means Bv must be a multiple of v, ie, v is also an eigenvalue of B. If all the eigenspaces of A are one dimensional, then A and B have exactly the same eigenvectors, and so they are diagonalized by the same matrix Q (since the columns of this matrix are precisely the eigenvectors of the matrix being diagonalized).

I'll let you finish the argument and work out what happens when the eigenvalues are degenerate (ie, when some eigenspaces are more than one dimensional).

Last edited:

What does it mean to be orthogonally diagonalizable?

Being orthogonally diagonalizable means that a square matrix can be transformed into a diagonal matrix by a change of basis using an orthogonal matrix.

How do you show that a matrix is orthogonally diagonalizable?

To show that a matrix is orthogonally diagonalizable, you need to find an orthogonal matrix that can diagonalize the original matrix. This can be done by finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the original matrix and using them to construct the orthogonal matrix.

What is the importance of orthogonally diagonalizable matrices?

Orthogonally diagonalizable matrices are important because they have a simpler form and are easier to work with compared to non-diagonalizable matrices. They also have many useful properties, such as being easy to invert and having a clear geometric interpretation.

Can all matrices be orthogonally diagonalizable?

No, not all matrices can be orthogonally diagonalizable. For a matrix to be orthogonally diagonalizable, it must have a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors. If a matrix does not have this property, it cannot be orthogonally diagonalizable.

What are some real-world applications of orthogonally diagonalizable matrices?

Orthogonally diagonalizable matrices are commonly used in engineering and physics to represent and solve problems involving rotations and transformations. They are also used in data analysis and image processing for their simplifying properties.