Understanding the Graphical Method of Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discussed a new method for multiplying two numbers together and questioned the reasoning behind its effectiveness. The link provided a video demonstrating the calculating technique, which involves multiplying each digit individually and then adding them together. It was noted that this method is essentially the same as traditional long multiplication, but with a graphical representation.
gabrown
I have just watched a very interesting way of multiplying 2 numbers together, but i wonder if anyone could explain to me why it works.

here is the link

Calculating technique - 5min - Video

cheers

gabrown

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gabrown said:
I have just watched a very interesting way of multiplying 2 numbers together, but i wonder if anyone could explain to me why it works.

here is the link

Calculating technique - 5min - Video

If you examine what the method is doing, it is multiplying each digit independently and then summing up the ones, the tens, and the hundreds place.

It is the same process as long multiplication, just graphically instead of numerically. Seriously, do the problem side by side and you will see exactly the same numbers at each step.

What is multiplication?

Multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves combining two or more numbers to get a result called the product. It is represented by the symbol "x" or "•".

How does multiplication work?

Multiplication involves repeated addition of the same number. For example, 3 x 4 means adding 3 four times: 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 12. It can also be thought of as grouping or scaling numbers.

What is the difference between multiplication and addition?

Multiplication is a shortcut for repeated addition. It is used to find the total quantity when the same number is added multiple times. Addition, on the other hand, is used to find the total when different numbers are combined.

What are the properties of multiplication?

The properties of multiplication are commutative, associative, identity, and distributive. The commutative property states that the order of the factors does not change the product. The associative property states that the grouping of factors does not change the product. The identity property states that multiplying a number by 1 does not change its value. The distributive property states that multiplying a number by a sum is the same as multiplying each addend by the number and then adding the products.

How is multiplication used in real life?

Multiplication is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of multiple items, determining the area of a rectangle, and finding the total number of items in a group. It is also used in more complex applications, such as calculating interest rates and determining the growth of populations.