Cryogenic Dark Matter Search

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that gravity may not be a force due to the lack of opposite charges, and the failure to locate dark matter in cosmology. The possibility of gravity having an opposite charge of repulsion is also brought up, but it is noted that this could conflict with the current understanding of the accelerated expansion of the universe. The concept of opposite charged gravitons and its implications for the formation of matter is also discussed.
Yohan_Borga
Greetings,

When I was still in college, a professor commented that it was possible that gravity was not a force. He based this on the observation that gravity didn’t seem to have opposite charges. The force of electricity has positive and negative. Gravity does not seem to have such attractive and repulsive properties.
In shashdot, a story titled “Missing Matter… Still Missing” has appeared. It seems that the latest attempt to locate dark matter failed. This doesn’t surprise me because I’ve always had a problem with the theory of “dark” matter and energy. It just doesn’t seem right.
I am wondering if what we observe in cosmology could be the result of gravity’s “opposite” charge of repulsion. Could the vast voids and expansion be accounted for by the repulsive charge of gravity? I’m not a physicist or cosmologist but I am hoping the learned community may speculate on this possibility. How about it folks?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever is causing the accelerated expansion of the universe does act somewhat like gravitic repulsion, but it is not associated with matter, but rather distributed through empty space. This would make problems for a theory of an "opposite charged graviton" I think.

selfAdjoint said:
Whatever is causing the accelerated expansion of the universe does act somewhat like gravitic repulsion, but it is not associated with matter, but rather distributed through empty space. This would make problems for a theory of an "opposite charged graviton" I think.

If opposite charged gravitons exist, how would matter come together?

1. What is Cryogenic Dark Matter Search (CDMS)?

CDMS is a scientific experiment that aims to detect and study dark matter, which is the elusive substance that makes up about 85% of the universe's mass. It uses specialized detectors that are cooled to extremely low temperatures to search for interactions between dark matter particles and ordinary matter.

2. How does CDMS work?

CDMS uses highly sensitive detectors made of germanium and silicon crystals, which are cooled to temperatures close to absolute zero. When a dark matter particle passes through the detector, it may interact with the atoms in the crystal, producing a detectable signal. This signal is then analyzed to determine if it could be a potential dark matter interaction.

3. What makes CDMS different from other dark matter experiments?

CDMS is unique in that it uses cryogenic technology to cool its detectors to extremely low temperatures, making them more sensitive to dark matter interactions. It also has a sophisticated background rejection system to filter out any signals that are not from dark matter particles, ensuring a more accurate result.

4. Has CDMS found any evidence of dark matter?

While CDMS has not yet detected dark matter particles, it has placed some of the most stringent constraints on certain theories of dark matter. It continues to collect data and improve its technology in the hopes of eventually detecting dark matter.

5. What are the potential implications of CDMS' findings?

If CDMS were to detect dark matter particles, it would be a groundbreaking discovery that could revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It could also provide valuable insights into the nature of dark matter and its role in the formation of galaxies and the evolution of the universe.