Voltage Controlled Current Source

In summary, the current source sinks the current to ground, so the output voltage will be the same as the input voltage.
dyordyen
guys, i need some help...

i'm looking for a voltage-controlled current source...

i found this: http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/9018/9018.html" [Broken]

but when i try it for a maximum current of 500mA (using LM324N for the opamp and 2N2222 for the transistor), it doesn't work...

help me pls...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
does the current source sink to ground? or are both terminals floating?

you mean the output terminals?

i was thinking of inserting an ammeter on the output side to get the maximum current reading..
+Vout > Ammeter > -Vout > Zener > -Vcc > Ground

or you're talking of something else? sorry...

dyordyen said:
guys, i need some help...

i'm looking for a voltage-controlled current source...

i found this: http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/9018/9018.html"

but when i try it for a maximum current of 500mA (using LM324N for the opamp and 2N2222 for the transistor), it doesn't work...

help me pls...

Several issues... First, if you want 500mA, you will need a lot bigger transistor than the 2N2222. That transistor is more like a 100mA transistor (if that). Second, you mention a LM324, but the app note shows an LM321 precision opamp. The LM321 is meant for split supply operation, and can handle the +/- 16V supplies in the diagram. The LM324 is optimized for single supply operation, and can only handle +/-15V max. If you gave it +/-16V, it is toast.

Also, the output reference voltage of that figure is a bit strange. Can you just have your current source work with respect to ground? What output voltage range does the current source need to be able to work with (that's called its "compliance")?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Several issues... First, if you want 500mA, you will need a lot bigger transistor than the 2N2222. That transistor is more like a 100mA transistor (if that). Second, you mention a LM324, but the app note shows an LM321 precision opamp. The LM321 is meant for split supply operation, and can handle the +/- 16V supplies in the diagram. The LM324 is optimized for single supply operation, and can only handle +/-15V max. If you gave it +/-16V, it is toast.

Also, the output reference voltage of that figure is a bit strange. Can you just have your current source work with respect to ground? What output voltage range does the current source need to be able to work with (that's called its "compliance")?

attached is the modification i made to the circuit, on the ammeter it reads 490+ mA... but when i try to do it on the breadboard, i get 0 A... pls advice :(

Attachments

• jorjen.jpg
    jorjen.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 757
guys, if any of you have a design or circuit for a voltage controlled current source having a maximum current output of 500mA... no matter how simple or tedious, i would highly appreciate it... honestly I'm next to being desperate :(

thanks for the replies though...

Try this,
Hook up a precision resistor to monitor the current being consumed(drop).
Use a precision opamp as differential amplier for feedback/stabilisation.
You can use a transistor to sink the current at the output.

Or else you can go with a combination of LM723 and 2N3055. you should be able to tune the circuit for 500mA.
Pros,
correct me if wrong

I tried some more modifications. Now, though a little less than theoretical, it outputs something...

For better accuracy, I'll try what you suggested...

What is a voltage controlled current source?

A voltage controlled current source is an electronic circuit component that can provide a controllable output current based on the input voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as amplifiers, oscillators, and filters.

How does a voltage controlled current source work?

A voltage controlled current source typically consists of an operational amplifier and a feedback network. The input voltage is amplified by the operational amplifier and the feedback network adjusts the output current to maintain a constant voltage across a load.

What are the advantages of using a voltage controlled current source?

One of the main advantages of using a voltage controlled current source is its ability to provide a stable output current, even when the input voltage changes. It also allows for precise control of the output current, making it useful in many electronic applications.

What are the potential applications of a voltage controlled current source?

A voltage controlled current source is commonly used in electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, power supplies, and motor control circuits. It can also be used in scientific instruments and other precision measurement equipment.

Are there any limitations to using a voltage controlled current source?

One limitation of a voltage controlled current source is that it requires a stable power supply in order to maintain its accuracy. It also has a limited output range and may not be suitable for high current applications.