PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)

In summary: I took it.Zz.In summary, the conversation was about a photography contest with the theme of trees. The rules and guidelines for the contest were discussed, including the specifications for photo submission and the voting process. Members shared their own tree photos and complimented each other's pictures. The conversation also touched on the importance and symbolism of trees in different cultures. The conversation ended with a summary of the submitted photos and their unique qualities.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The Tree Of Life

This one should be easy. Pictures this week must be on trees. Trees (or a tree) must be the main subject of your picture, not the background scenery, the people in front of it, or anything else. Please note that fake trees do not qualify.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'll start this one off.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jparvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trees.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot, Janus,

Browsing the tree archives

A nifty tree I found in HI.
tree.jpg

Can it be of like a branch? I've got a great one of this delicate branch with buds on it, in B and W...

Fruit on one of my apple trees. Apples, dried, pressed for cider, made into vinegar, or kept whole over the winter, have long been a Maine staple food. For Mainers in hard times, apple trees were a "tree of life". Every old farmhouse up here has (or had, until suburbanites bought them) apple trees near the kitchen. Apart from the little bare-root apple seedlings that I planted here in the last couple of years, there are at least a dozen older trees on the property, some of which are very hardy old varieties that wouldn't make a splash in the stores, but that keep really well in winter. I missed my window of opportunity last year (for seedlings), but hope to add some Black Oxford trees to my property. Those are wonderful apples that don't get edible until they are hit with a heavy frost, and in a cold cellar they will keep until spring. BTW, I don't have a clue what variety these apples are. They are tart and crispy, and keep much better than Macs, though.

Edit: My apples are grown with NO pesticides at all. Before the blossoms set and after the blossoms are off, I spray the trees with canola oil in a hose-fed orchard sprayer. The canola oil smothers bugs over-wintering in crevices in the bark and smothers eggs (and larvae) that might have been laid by bugs in the spring. Bugs that attack apples need to breathe, and canola oil smothers them with no damage to the trees, fruit, soil, etc.

apples-1.jpg

Last edited:
tree2.JPG

I really like that one, Andre. Struck a cord with me.
Edit: Forget the dumb pun. I really do like the picture. It did strike a chord with me.

Moment before a northern Georgian sunset

DSC01711.jpg

I really like Moonbear's picture. Simple, warming, quiet...

I like it.

JasonRox said:

I like it.

And the colors are so vibrant. The road leads your eye from the front to the back where the ocean is and the tree is off to the left not taking up the center of the frame.

It's really just a quality picture.

Seems like trees are particularly popular subject...

OOOoooo. Very nice ZapperZ; the wind blown snow on the right side of the trees give the appearance of a charcoal sketch when the dark bark is contrasted with the white sky.

Cyrus said:
And the colors are so vibrant. The road leads your eye from the front to the back where the ocean is and the tree is off to the left not taking up the center of the frame.

Yeah, definitely. I like it.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/8333/img0146ob5.jpg

Anyways, here's my picture.

It's the Chateau Frontenac, Quebec City.

The nice part is looking up at the castle through the trees, especially on a nice day.

Not sure if it qualifies... I'll look for other.

robertm said:
OOOoooo. Very nice ZapperZ; the wind blown snow on the right side of the trees give the appearance of a charcoal sketch when the dark bark is contrasted with the white sky.

Thank you. When I downloaded the picture from my camera, it did appear to me as if the photo was really a black-and-white pencil sketch. I had to take the picture (which actually is a scene just outside the experimental building) because of the snow still sticking to one side of the tree trunks and branches. It reminded me of all the painting instruction shows on PBS where they shaded one side to indicate the side where the light is coming from.

Zz.

I can't see zapperz picture.

tribdog said:
I can't see zapperz picture.

Some time ImageShack is messed up. Wait a day. If it doesn't come back, I may have to upload it again to Photobucket.

Zz.

JasonRox said:

I like it.

Cyrus said:

Thanks! When I saw that tree, I just HAD to take a picture. I think I took 4 or 5 pictures before I really got one I liked.

Moonbear said:
Thanks! When I saw that tree, I just HAD to take a picture. I think I took 4 or 5 pictures before I really got one I liked.

I do the same thing.

Sometimes it comes out a bit different on the computer. Take a couple and be safe.

That's really pretty, RB!

Ooh, that's a nifty tree too, Redbelly!

With so many perfect picturesque trees I feel like adding another one - perhaps not worse than those already shown, but for sure not better - doesn't make sense. But I can always try to add something a little bit different. Perhaps not The Tree of Life, but The Tree Full of Life. Or at least - The Tree Full of Appetite.

tree.jpg

I swear I have heard crunching when taking a picture; could be it was my wife eating nuts, but I am not sure.

turbo and Moonbear, thanks. That park has a few cool looking trees ... I had to choose between this photo and another.

edit:
LOL Borek. That's awesome!

Borek said:
With so many perfect picturesque trees I feel like adding another one - perhaps not worse than those already shown, but for sure not better - doesn't make sense. But I can always try to add something a little bit different. Perhaps not The Tree of Life, but The Tree Full of Life. Or at least - The Tree Full of Appetite.

tree.jpg

I swear I have heard crunching when taking a picture; could be it was my wife eating nuts, but I am not sure.
Nice (hungry) tree! I have another picture that I considered using, but I couldn't locate the print. We were renting an old farmhouse that had been occupied for over 150 years and at some point, the residents had fastened a zinc sign topped with a figure of a squirrel to a big oak tree out front. The tree had pretty much engulfed the sign so that just a little bit of the squirrel was left showing.

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

tree.jpg

Today I went out to photograph an old derelict mill (the one in the background). It stands in the middle of one of the main industrial areas of the city; hardly a natural paradise. Yet next to it, growing out of the concrete by the river bank I found this apple tree clinging to existence (more than clinging, doing quite well considering its situation). I thought it deserved a photo

I have decided that it isn't even worth posting my "good" photo, there are so many amazingly beautiful pictures! So instead, I will post the photo that shows life.

335051839.jpg

Incase you can't read it (since the image is so small now), it says something like "Me & Lee, July 11, 1949". Or it could be Me & Sue, or Me & Lea... But the date is very clear.

Ms Music said:
I have decided that it isn't even worth posting my "good" photo, there are so many amazingly beautiful pictures! So instead, I will post the photo that shows life.

335051839.jpg

Incase you can't read it (since the image is so small now), it says something like "Me & Lee, July 11, 1949". Or it could be Me & Sue, or Me & Lea... But the date is very clear.
Perhaps "me & Leo"?

another photo, done it in my backyard

http://www.eduardcimbru.com/contest.JPG

rantech said:
another photo, done it in my backyard

Sorry, but this contest is over. The dates of the contest are listed in the title.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)?

The theme of this photo contest is "The Tree of Life", which can be interpreted in various ways such as the beauty and importance of trees in our environment, the symbolism of trees in different cultures, or the concept of growth and resilience.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)?

This contest is open to everyone who has a passion for photography and wants to showcase their skills and creativity. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to join.

3. How do I submit my entry for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)?

To submit your entry, you need to post your photo on your public Instagram account and use the hashtag #PFTreeOfLifeContest. Make sure your account is set to public and your post is tagged correctly to be considered as an official entry.

4. Can I submit more than one photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)?

Yes, you can submit multiple entries as long as each photo is unique and follows the theme of the contest. However, only one entry per person will be eligible to win.

5. What are the prizes for the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - The Tree Of Life (9/13-9/19)?

The first place winner will receive a cash prize of $500, the second place winner will receive $300, and the third place winner will receive $200. In addition, the top 10 photos will be featured on the PF website and social media platforms.