Total file size for the complete MiKTeX system?

In summary, the total file size for the complete MiKTeX system can range from 500MB to 1GB depending on the installation options and packages selected. You can customize the installation to reduce the file size by selecting only necessary packages and components. The file size will increase if additional packages are installed, but the extent of the increase will vary. You can also use the MiKTeX Package Manager to remove unnecessary packages and components to further reduce the file size without affecting its functionality. The file size does not directly affect the performance of the MiKTeX system, but it may take longer to load or update packages on low storage or slow devices.
Shaun Culver
What is the total file size for the complete MiKTeX system? The website (http://www.miktex.org/Setup.aspx ) doesn't seem to give this information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I've got a complete install of MiKTeX 2.7, and my C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7 is 1.20GB.

The packages needed for installation take up about 700MB.

Thank you.

1. What is the total file size for the complete MiKTeX system?

The total file size for the complete MiKTeX system varies depending on the installation options and packages selected. However, on average, the total file size ranges from 500MB to 1GB.

2. Can I customize the installation to reduce the file size?

Yes, you can customize the installation by selecting only the necessary packages and components. This can significantly reduce the file size of the MiKTeX system.

3. Will the file size increase if I install additional packages later on?

Yes, the file size of the MiKTeX system will increase if you install additional packages. However, the increase in size will depend on the specific packages installed.

4. Are there any options to further reduce the file size of the MiKTeX system?

Yes, you can use the MiKTeX Package Manager to remove any unnecessary packages or components. This can help reduce the file size of the MiKTeX system without affecting its functionality.

5. Does the file size of the MiKTeX system affect its performance?

No, the file size of the MiKTeX system does not directly affect its performance. However, if the system is installed on a low storage or slow device, it may take longer to load or update packages.