Two particles accelerating towards each other

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of two large objects accelerating towards each other in a closed system and the possibility of them reaching the speed of light. It is stated that material bodies cannot be accelerated to the speed of light due to mass dilation. The conversation also mentions the existence of experimental data to confirm this.
robocop
So I'm new here, hopefully I'll post a lot more in the future. Anywho, not sure if this is the right place but I've been wondering about what would happen under a given scenario. Say that you have two large objects of mass such as 2 stars a substantial distance x away from each other. Take them initially at a state of rest and in a closed system. If you release them and allow them to freely accelerate to one another their speeds will continually increase from a neutral observant point. So, what happens if the objects are large enough and far enough away that they accelerate to the speed of light. I don't know what is stopping them from going faster, theoretically as they get closer the force attracting them should only increase and it's not like the force goes away as they get closer.

Physics news on Phys.org
robocop said:
So I'm new here, hopefully I'll post a lot more in the future. Anywho, not sure if this is the right place but I've been wondering about what would happen under a given scenario. Say that you have two large objects of mass such as 2 stars a substantial distance x away from each other. Take them initially at a state of rest and in a closed system. If you release them and allow them to freely accelerate to one another their speeds will continually increase from a neutral observant point. So, what happens if the objects are large enough and far enough away that they accelerate to the speed of light. I don't know what is stopping them from going faster, theoretically as they get closer the force attracting them should only increase and it's not like the force goes away as they get closer.

Welcome to the PF. Material bodies cannot be accelerated to the speed of light, because their mass increases as they approach relativistic speeds:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

so what would happen is that the relative velocity of the two bodies would asymptotically approach c. Is there experimental data to confirm that this would happen.

robocop said:
so what would happen is that the relative velocity of the two bodies would asymptotically approach c. Is there experimental data to confirm that this would happen.

Yes, lots. The subject is "mass dilation", so just do a google search on that to find lots of info.

berkeman said:
Yes, lots. The subject is "mass dilation", so just do a google search on that to find lots of info.

thanks for the help. I've got some knowledge from back when I was slacking off in engineering. Considering going back for EP, testing the waters so to speak.

1. What causes two particles to accelerate towards each other?

The force of gravity is the most common cause of two particles accelerating towards each other. This force is generated by the mass of the particles and follows the principle of universal gravitation.

2. How does the acceleration of two particles towards each other change over time?

The acceleration of two particles towards each other follows Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of each object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the particles get closer, the force of attraction between them increases, causing the acceleration to also increase.

3. Can two particles accelerate towards each other at different rates?

Yes, two particles can accelerate towards each other at different rates depending on their masses. The larger the mass of the particles, the greater the force of attraction and therefore the greater the acceleration. However, if the masses of the particles are equal, then they will accelerate towards each other at the same rate.

4. What happens when two particles with opposite charges accelerate towards each other?

If two particles with opposite charges, such as a proton and an electron, accelerate towards each other, they will experience a force of attraction. This is due to the electric force between charged particles, which follows Coulomb's law. The particles will continue to accelerate towards each other until they collide or the force between them is balanced by another force.

5. How do you calculate the acceleration of two particles towards each other?

To calculate the acceleration of two particles towards each other, you can use Newton's second law of motion. This law states that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on the object divided by its mass. In the case of two particles accelerating towards each other, the net force would be the force of attraction between them, and the mass would be the combined mass of both particles.