Accelerating Universe Expansion: Big Bang or Repulsive Force?

In summary, there is no evidence to support the hypothesis that the big bang was not a singular event, and the matter at the edge of the observable universe might not be getting drawn towards matter that is still farther away that had its origins in a preceding big bang.
Chalk
I recently read that there is apparently a repulsive force that acts over very long distances that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. I was just wondering if there is any data that disprove the possibility that the big bang was not a singular event and that rather than being driven away by a repulsive force, the matter at the edge of the observable universe might not be getting drawn towards matter that is still farther away that had its origins in a preceding big bang. Is there some reason that we know this is not possible?

Space news on Phys.org
I was just wondering if there is any data that disprove the possibility that the big bang was not a singular event and that rather than being driven away by a repulsive force, the matter at the edge of the observable universe might not be getting drawn towards matter that is still farther away that had its origins in a preceding big bang. Is there some reason that we know this is not possible?

No guarantee that the big bang and inflation even happened... just a theory with a lot of supporting evidence that appears to confirm the theory. I've never seen a plausible nor implausiable theory that matches your hypothesis...

Chalk said:
I recently read that there is apparently a repulsive force that acts over very long distances that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. I was just wondering if there is any data that disprove the possibility that the big bang was not a singular event and that rather than being driven away by a repulsive force, the matter at the edge of the observable universe might not be getting drawn towards matter that is still farther away that had its origins in a preceding big bang. Is there some reason that we know this is not possible?
This has been looked into, and the implications are, frankly, absurd. It requires that we have a local underdensity by a factor of about a hundred from the surroundings compared to stuff just a few billion light years out.
Here's a recent paper that looked into this:
http://xxx.lanl.gov/pdf/0902.1313

1. What is the theory of accelerating universe expansion?

The theory of accelerating universe expansion proposes that the rate at which the universe is expanding is increasing over time. This means that galaxies and other objects in the universe are moving away from each other at a faster and faster pace.

2. Is the Big Bang responsible for the accelerating universe expansion?

No, the Big Bang theory does not explain the accelerating expansion of the universe. The Big Bang theory states that the universe began with a rapid expansion, but it does not account for the current acceleration.

3. What is the role of dark energy in accelerating universe expansion?

Dark energy is currently the leading explanation for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe and is thought to be responsible for pushing galaxies apart at an increasing rate.

4. How do scientists measure the rate of universe expansion?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the rate of universe expansion, including observations of distant supernovae, the cosmic microwave background, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These measurements all point to an accelerating rate of expansion.

5. What evidence supports the theory of accelerating universe expansion?

In addition to observational data, there are several pieces of evidence that support the theory of accelerating universe expansion. These include the redshift of distant galaxies, the anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background, and the measurement of the Hubble constant, which is the rate at which the universe is expanding.