Serial connection: two transformers

In summary: But if the coils are not the same size, then I'm not sure how the turns ratio would play out.I'll give it another try, with a different approach. Thanks for bearing with me.Okay, so I started with the equations for the primary and secondary inductances, then used the mutual inductance equation to relate them. I got the same equation as before. I think I know why I wasn't getting the 1:3 ratio -- I wasn't taking the sign into account. I'm going to try it with the sign included and see if that gives the 1:3 (EDIT -- or rather,
Mark1991
Good afternoon!

To build a serial connection of two transformers, four coils are used: Two of this coils have n1 turning, two of them have n2 turnings.

The coils are built together in the way, you can see on this picture:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2698/transformer.jpg

The supply on the left side amounts 50V, the voltameter on the right side measures only 30V.

What is the quotient n1/n2 ?

My solution are
1. n1/n2=3/1 and
2. n1/n2=1/3 (clear that there must exist two solustions).

Is this solution right?

Thank you very much.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark1991 said:
Good afternoon!

To build a serial connection of two transformers, four coils are used: Two of this coils have n1 turning, two of them have n2 turnings.

The supply on the left side amounts 50V, the voltameter on the right side measures only 30V.

My solution are
1. n1/n2=3/1 and

Is this solution right?

Thank you very much.
Mark

Welcome to the PF.

I must be missing something. If both primary and secondary have n1 + n2 windings, it would seem that the turns ratio is 1:1. What am I missing?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I must be missing something. If both primary and secondary have n1 + n2 windings, it would seem that the turns ratio is 1:1. What am I missing?

Hmmm. Maybe that they do not share the same core. Let me think about this...

Mark1991 said:
Good afternoon!

My solution are
1. n1/n2=3/1 and

Is this solution right?

Thank you very much.
Mark

I don't think your solutions work. How did you derive them? They don't work in the equation that I've written for the transfer function.

Ok, I try to explan my way to solute the problem:

1. U1,left : U2,left= (n1 : n2)^2

2. U2,left = U1,left * (n1 : n2)^(-2)
=50V * ( (n1 : n2)^2 + 1 )^-1

3. U1,left = 50V * ( (n2 : n1)^2 + 1 )^-14. 30V = U1,right + U2, right = U1,left* (n2/n1) + U2left * (n1/n2)
=50V * ( (n1 : n2)^2 + 1 )^-1 * (n2/n1) + 50V * ( (n1 : n2)^2 + 1 )^-1 * (n1/n2) After calculation:
n1/n2 = 3 , n1/n2 = 1/3

Mark

berkeman said:
I don't think your solutions work. How did you derive them? They don't work in the equation that I've written for the transfer function.

Why do you think my solution is wrong?
Which equation do you mean?

Mark1991 said:
Why do you think my solution is wrong?
Which equation do you mean?

I'm sorry, I wasn't able to follow your derivation. You may be correct, but your answers do not fit in the equation that I derived (although I did it quickly, so I could be wrong).

I started with equations for the two voltages on the left that add up to 50V. The voltages across the two coils in the primary will ratio with each coil inductance, and hence will ratio with the number of turns squared. That gives you one equation (EDIT -- well, actually two equations). Then the output secondary voltage of 30V is formed by the transformed voltages from the primary, via each respective turns ratio. That gives you another equation.

When I combine those two equations, I get an equation that is not satisfied by a 3:1 turns ratio for n1 and n2. Again, I could be wrong.

Is that the way you are approaching the problem?

berkeman said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't able to follow your derivation. You may be correct, but your answers do not fit in the equation that I derived (although I did it quickly, so I could be wrong).

I started with equations for the two voltages on the left that add up to 50V. The voltages across the two coils in the primary will ratio with each coil inductance, and hence will ratio with the number of turns squared. That gives you one equation (EDIT -- well, actually two equations). Then the output secondary voltage of 30V is formed by the transformed voltages from the primary, via each respective turns ratio. That gives you another equation.

When I combine those two equations, I get an equation that is not satisfied by a 3:1 turns ratio for n1 and n2. Again, I could be wrong.

Is that the way you are approaching the problem?

Ooo, hey. I take it back. 3:1 DOES work in my equation. Sorry for the confusion. The equation I got in the end was:

[tex]\frac{3}{10} = \frac{n_1 n_2}{{n_1}^2 + {n_2}^2}[/tex]

berkeman said:
The voltages across the two coils in the primary will ratio with each coil inductance, and hence will ratio with the number of turns squared.

Aha, that's what I was missing when I first read the problem. As I understand it, this assumes a fixed coil length. If, instead, the turns-per-length were fixed, I think the voltage would simply ratio in proportion to the number of turns. Is that thinking correct, berkeman?

Redbelly98 said:
Aha, that's what I was missing when I first read the problem. As I understand it, this assumes a fixed coil length. If, instead, the turns-per-length were fixed, I think the voltage would simply ratio in proportion to the number of turns. Is that thinking correct, berkeman?

Given the same core size and material (it looks like they are the same transformers, with one just reversed), the magnetizing inductance varies with the number of turns squared. Since the AC impedance varies liinearly with inductance, the voltage division will go with the number of turns squared. So for the two voltages on the primary, you would get:

[tex]v_1 = 50V \frac{{n_1}^2}{{n_1}^2 + {n_2}^2}[/tex]

[tex]v_2 = 50V \frac{{n_2}^2}{{n_1}^2 + {n_2}^2}[/tex]

And then you write the equation for the output voltage as a function of those two input voltages and the respective turns ratios.

This is a very interesting problem.

The reciprocity theorem says that the voltage transfer ratio in one direction should equal the current transfer ratio in the other direction.

So, if you short the left side and apply a current to the right side, is the current in the left side in a 5:3 ratio with respect to the current in the right side?

My intuition fails me here; I would have to do the math.

A somewhat related problem would be to connect a 100 ohm resistor to the right hand side, and calculate the impedance seen at the left hand side.

The Electrician said:
This is a very interesting problem.

The reciprocity theorem says that the voltage transfer ratio in one direction should equal the current transfer ratio in the other direction.

So, if you short the left side and apply a current to the right side, is the current in the left side in a 5:3 ratio with respect to the current in the right side?

My intuition fails me here; I would have to do the math.

A somewhat related problem would be to connect a 100 ohm resistor to the right hand side, and calculate the impedance seen at the left hand side.

The problem as given has an open circuit on the secondary (I think), so the primary current is only determined by the primary magnetizing inductance and the frequency. Your related problem is an interesting one! If I have time later today I'll try it. Have you worked out the answer already?

What is a serial connection?

A serial connection is a type of connection between two devices where data is transmitted one bit at a time over a single communication line. This is in contrast to parallel connections where multiple bits can be transmitted simultaneously.

What are transformers?

Transformers are electrical devices that are used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the process of electromagnetic induction. They consist of two or more coils of wire, known as windings, that are linked by a magnetic field.

Why would you need two transformers in a serial connection?

In a serial connection, two transformers are often used to convert the electrical energy from one circuit to a specific voltage or current level that is suitable for the other circuit. This allows the two devices to communicate and exchange data effectively.

How are the transformers connected in a serial connection?

The transformers in a serial connection are connected in a cascaded or daisy-chain configuration, where the output of one transformer is connected to the input of the next transformer. This allows for the transfer of data between the two devices.

What are the benefits of using a serial connection with two transformers?

Using two transformers in a serial connection allows for better isolation between the two circuits, as well as the ability to transfer different voltage or current levels. It also allows for longer distance communication and reduced interference compared to other types of connections, such as parallel connections.