Integers: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary, we can use the given set of integers to solve the equation involving fractions and find possible values for a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, and i. By applying certain principles, we can narrow down the possibilities and begin a brute-force search for a solution.
sara_87
I saw this somewhere, it looks like fun but i can't seem to answer it

integers: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

[tex]\frac{a}{bc}+\frac{d}{ef}+\frac{g}{hi}=1[/tex]

what is a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i ?
pick from the above integers. (ONLY USE EACH OF THE ABOVE INTEGERS ONCE)
:)

bc means for example 35 (b=3 and c=5), not multiply.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Interesting.We can always reorder terms such that b < e < h. Once we do that, it's easy to see that b=1 (because if b>1, the whole sum is necessarily less than 1).

We can restrict the number of possibilities for a & c further, because, since b=1, d/ef+g/hi is at most 9/24+8/35 ~ 0.603 and therefore a/bc > 0.397. Furthermore, if c is 2, d/ef+g/hi <= 9/35+8/46 ~ 0.431 and a/bc > 0.569. If either a or c is 9, d/ef+g/hi <= 8/24+7/35 ~ 0.533 and a/bc > 0.467. If a and c are 8 and 9, d/ef+g/hi <= 7/24+6/35=0.463 and a/bc > 0.537 (so, a and c can't be 8 and 9, because both 8/19 and 9/18 are less than 0.537).

c, f, and i can't be 5.

Any two-digit prime number that occurs in decompositions of denominators must occur in at least two denominators. For example, we can rewrite the statement as (d*hi+g*ef)-ef*hi = -a*ef*hi/bc. Right hand side is integer. If bc is a multiple of 13, either ef or hi (or both) must also be multiples of 13.

These principles limit the set of possibilities for the first fraction to 16 possibilities:

7/12 8/12 9/12
6/13 7/13 8/13 9/13
6/14 7/14 8/14 9/14
7/16 8/16 9/16
8/17 9/17

At this point, I don't see any clear ways to reduce the set of possibilities further, but we've cut the possibility space enough to start brute-force search for a solution ...

1. What is an integer?

An integer is a whole number that can be positive, negative, or zero.

2. What are the properties of integers?

The properties of integers include closure (the result of an operation between two integers is also an integer), commutativity (the order of operations does not affect the result), associativity (the grouping of operations does not affect the result), and distributivity (the distribution of multiplication over addition/subtraction).

3. How are integers represented on a number line?

Integers are represented on a number line by evenly spacing out the numbers and placing zero at the center. Positive integers are located to the right of zero and negative integers are located to the left of zero.

4. What is the difference between a whole number and an integer?

A whole number is a positive number that does not have a fractional or decimal component. An integer can be positive, negative, or zero and includes all whole numbers as well as their negative counterparts.

5. How are integers used in scientific research?

Integers are used in scientific research to represent and analyze data, create mathematical models, and make predictions about natural phenomena. They are also used in statistical analyses and in various equations and formulas in different fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.