Molar Volume and Molal Volume

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation is about finding the molal volume of vitamin E in order to calculate its diffusivity coefficient. The person has the molar volume and molecular weight of vitamin E, but is confused about how to calculate the molal volume. They also mention the difference between molarity and molality.
physstudent1
The exact question I have to answer isn't about Molar and Molal volume but I need molal volume to plug into the equation for diffusivity coefficients. I have the molar volume of vitamin E 603cm^3/mol and its MW 430.7 and I need to find its molal volume cm^3/(g*mol) but I'm getting pretty confused can anyone help

Likes Hana Gebre
Physics news on Phys.org
Molarity (in units of mol/L, molar, or M) or molar concentration denotes the number of moles of a given substance per liter of solution. (Wiki)

Molality (mol/kg, molal, or m) denotes the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent (not solution). (Wiki)

What are the details of the problem?

Molar volume and molal volume are two important concepts in chemistry that are often used in calculations involving the diffusion of substances. Molar volume refers to the volume occupied by one mole of a substance at a given temperature and pressure, while molal volume is the volume occupied by one mole of a substance per unit mass of the solvent.

In order to calculate the molal volume of a substance, we need to know its molar volume and molecular weight. In this case, we have the molar volume of vitamin E, which is 603 cm^3/mol, and its molecular weight, which is 430.7 g/mol. To find the molal volume, we can use the following equation:

Molal Volume = Molar Volume / Molecular Weight

= 603 cm^3/mol / 430.7 g/mol

= 1.4 cm^3/(g*mol)

Therefore, the molal volume of vitamin E is 1.4 cm^3/(g*mol). This value can now be used in the equation for diffusivity coefficients to calculate the diffusion rate of vitamin E in different solvents. It is important to note that the units of molal volume are in cm^3/(g*mol), which is different from molar volume that is in cm^3/mol. This is because molal volume takes into account the mass of the solvent, while molar volume does not.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of molal volume and how it can be calculated using molar volume and molecular weight. It is important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy in your research.

What is molar volume?

Molar volume is the volume occupied by one mole of a substance at a specific temperature and pressure. It is typically measured in units of liters per mole (L/mol).

What is the difference between molar volume and molal volume?

Molar volume is a measure of volume per mole of a substance, while molal volume is a measure of volume per mole of solvent in a solution. Molal volume takes into account the effects of solutes on the volume of the solution.

How do you calculate molar volume?

Molar volume can be calculated by dividing the volume of a gas at a specific temperature and pressure by the number of moles of gas present. It can also be calculated by dividing the molar mass of a substance by its density.

What factors affect molar volume?

Molar volume is affected by temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, molar volume also increases. As pressure increases, molar volume decreases. Additionally, the type of substance and its phase can also affect molar volume.

Why is molar volume important in chemistry?

Molar volume is important in chemistry because it allows us to convert between the amount of a substance in moles and its volume. It is also used in the ideal gas law and other equations to determine the properties of gases. Additionally, molar volume can provide information about the structure and behavior of molecules.