Combustion and Compressible Flow

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for resources and recommendations on the topics of combustion and compressible flow for a module they are currently studying. The conversation includes suggestions for textbooks and online resources as well as a recommendation for a specific textbook by author Anderson.
Jones1987
Hi,

I'm currently a student and learning these two topics for a module. I've searched the net for many references but can't find anything that is really that helpful.

Can anyone reference me any good links to questions and solutions regarding these topics? Also any books you guys would recommend would be a bonus!

Thanks,

Sam

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jones1987 said:
Hi,

I'm currently a student and learning these two topics for a module. I've searched the net for many references but can't find anything that is really that helpful.

Can anyone reference me any good links to questions and solutions regarding these topics? Also any books you guys would recommend would be a bonus!

Thanks,

Sam

Is there something specific about combustion and compressible flow that you would like to know about? There are tons of sites that have information so it would be helpful to know if you just want the general overview or something specific.

Does your textbook not have any information on it? Since this is for a course you're taking it would probably be the most relevant.

CS

I have that book as well, definitely a good one, as well as anything else by him.

Cheers guy, will go into the Uni library and see if I can find some copies

1. What is combustion and how does it occur?

Combustion is a chemical reaction in which a fuel reacts with oxygen to release heat and light. This reaction occurs at high temperatures and is known as oxidation. It can occur in different forms, such as rapid combustion (explosions) or slow combustion (fires).

2. How is combustion related to compressible flow?

Compressible flow is the movement of a fluid in which the density changes due to changes in pressure and temperature. In combustion, the fuel and oxygen react to produce high temperatures and pressure, leading to compressible flow of the resulting gases. This flow is important in understanding the performance of combustion engines.

3. What factors affect the rate of combustion?

The rate of combustion is affected by several factors, including the availability of fuel and oxygen, the temperature and pressure of the surroundings, and the presence of a catalyst. The type of fuel and its properties, such as volatility and composition, also play a role in the rate of combustion.

4. What are the different types of combustion?

There are three main types of combustion: complete, incomplete, and stoichiometric. In complete combustion, the fuel is fully oxidized and produces only carbon dioxide and water. In incomplete combustion, there is not enough oxygen present and by-products such as carbon monoxide and soot are formed. Stoichiometric combustion occurs when the exact amount of oxygen needed for complete combustion is present.

5. How is combustion and compressible flow studied and applied in the real world?

Combustion and compressible flow are studied and applied in various fields, including aerospace engineering, power generation, and transportation. Scientists and engineers use mathematical models and simulations to understand and optimize the performance of combustion systems, such as engines and turbines. This knowledge is also applied in the development of new fuels and technologies for more efficient and cleaner combustion processes.