What happens when putting two Zeners in parallel?

• Thread starter xcvxcvvc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, when putting two 5.1 V Zeners in parallel, it is important to make sure the Zener current matches the datasheet number in order to get as close as possible to the rated Zener voltage. Additionally, the temperature coefficient of a 5.1V Zener diode is special because it changes the diode's on voltage linearly, with a negative coefficient for diodes with zener breakdown and a positive coefficient for avalanche diodes. Furthermore, increasing the capacitance can help reduce the output ripple under load conditions.
xcvxcvvc
What happens when you put two 5.1 V Zeners in parallel? Someone told me that if the output on my Zener regulated power supply was off, doing so would help make my output closer to 5.1 V. Before I take the advice of a student, I'd like to hear it from a more experienced person from here. I am cautious, because my book neglects the subject and google finds nothing on it. This absence of information could signify unpredictability or predictably useless outputs when putting two zeners in parallel. Besides, two zeners in parallel ideally behave like two voltage sources in parallel, which is a bad thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Diodes, like any components, have a random spread in their operating values. The extent to which they share current depends on how closely they are matched compared to the width of the knee in their I-V curves. In practice, the diode with a lower Zener voltage will carry most or all of the current and the other will just sit there with little to do.

xcvxcvvc said:
What happens when you put two 5.1 V Zeners in parallel? Someone told me that if the output on my Zener regulated power supply was off, doing so would help make my output closer to 5.1 V. Before I take the advice of a student, I'd like to hear it from a more experienced person from here. I am cautious, because my book neglects the subject and google finds nothing on it. This absence of information could signify unpredictability or predictably useless outputs when putting two zeners in parallel. Besides, two zeners in parallel ideally behave like two voltage sources in parallel, which is a bad thing.

In addition to marcusl's comments, keep in mind that real Zener diodes are rated at their voltage for some particular test current. If you have less than that current passing through them, you get a [STRIKE]higher[/STRIKE] lower voltage.

So putting two Zeners in parrallel will [STRIKE]raise[/STRIKE] lower the output voltage slightly. It's more important to just make sure that the Zener current matches the datasheet number, in order to get as close as possible to the rated Zener voltage.

BTW, do you know what the tempco of a 5.1V Zener diode is? Why is it special? (Quiz Question)

Last edited:
berkeman said:
In addition to marcusl's comments, keep in mind that real Zener diodes are rated at their voltage for some particular test current. If you have less than that current passing through them, you get a [STRIKE]higher[/STRIKE] lower voltage.

So putting two Zeners in parrallel will [STRIKE]raise[/STRIKE] lower the output voltage slightly. It's more important to just make sure that the Zener current matches the datasheet number, in order to get as close as possible to the rated Zener voltage.

BTW, do you know what the tempco of a 5.1V Zener diode is? Why is it special? (Quiz Question)

the temperature coefficient changes the zener's on voltage basically linearly. for diodes with zener breakdown (V < 5.6), it is negative. for avalanche, it is positive. By the way, i fixed my nominal 5v output ripple by increasing the capacitance from 57 to 57 + 22. The ripple went from ~56mV to ~45mV under max load conditions. With no load, my power supply never had difficulty(5mV ripple)

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
In addition to marcusl's comments, keep in mind that real Zener diodes are rated at their voltage for some particular test current. If you have less than that current passing through them, you get a higher voltage.

So putting two Zeners in parrallel will raise the output voltage slightly. It's more important to just make sure that the Zener current matches the datasheet number, in order to get as close as possible to the rated Zener voltage.

I must disagree Berkeman. Zeners are not negative resistance devices. Lower current will result in lower voltage across the device, not greater.

The answer to the quiz question can be found here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

skeptic2 said:
I must disagree Berkeman. Zeners are not negative resistance devices. Lower current will result in lower voltage across the device, not greater.

Yes, you are correct. Thanks for catching that. I was picturing the Zener plot (like the one in your link), but did not interpret it right for this question. Duh. I've gone back and corrected my post with strikeout so it hopefully doesn't confuse anybody.

1. What is the purpose of putting Zeners in parallel?

The purpose of putting Zeners in parallel is to increase the overall current handling capacity and to improve the voltage regulation capabilities of the circuit. This is especially useful when the current requirements of the circuit are higher than what a single Zener diode can handle.

2. Can I mix Zener diodes with different breakdown voltages in parallel?

No, it is not recommended to mix Zener diodes with different breakdown voltages in parallel. This is because the diode with the lower breakdown voltage will start conducting before the others, causing an uneven distribution of current and defeating the purpose of using Zeners in parallel.

3. How do I calculate the total breakdown voltage of Zeners in parallel?

The total breakdown voltage of Zeners in parallel can be calculated by simply adding the individual breakdown voltages of each diode. For example, if two Zener diodes with breakdown voltages of 5V and 10V are placed in parallel, the total breakdown voltage would be 15V.

4. What precautions should I take when putting Zeners in parallel?

It is important to ensure that the Zener diodes have the same breakdown voltage, and are connected in the same direction. In addition, a current-limiting resistor should be used to prevent excessive current flow through the diodes. It is also recommended to use diodes from the same batch to ensure consistency in performance.

5. Can I put an unlimited number of Zeners in parallel?

No, there is a limit to the number of Zeners that can be put in parallel. This is because as the number of diodes increases, the differences in their breakdown voltages become more significant, leading to uneven current distribution. It is recommended to use a maximum of 3-4 Zeners in parallel to ensure proper functioning.